Create these S'mores Cupcakes that are inspired by campfire s’mores. This cupcake has a graham cracker layer, followed by a chocolate cupcake with a surprise marshmallow fluff center, and then topped with buttercream frosting and mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
These S'mores Cupcakes are perfect to make year-round. They’re especially fun to serve as a treat over summer. You can serve this cupcake as a dessert or snack.
This would be a fun cupcake to take to a party, bbq, or potluck. Adults and children will love biting into these delicious cupcakes.
These S'mores Cupcakes have a few steps to follow to create each layer. You can save yourself some time by purchasing already made buttercream frosting.
In about an hour and a half, you’ll have cupcakes that taste just like campfire s'mores ready to enjoy!
Come on, everyone! Gather around… but no need for a campfire. I’ve got S’mores Cupcakes ready and no bonfire needed.
Yup, you read right!
These cupcakes are so good, they’ll make you want some more (See what I did there?). My S’mores Cupcakes are tons of fun to make.
My favorite part is put together the buttercream portion. I had a blast decorating each cupcake with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
You know what? I am sure your kids will love doing it, too.
What’s your favorite part about s’mores? Mine is definitely the graham cracker portion: a sweet crunch at every bite!
HOW TO MAKE S'MORES CUPCAKES
Chocolate cupcakes are baked with a graham cracker crust and filled with marshmallow fluff and then a buttercream frosting for a delicious snack the whole family will enjoy!
Are you ready to get started?
You’ll find the specific ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Kelly's Thoughts On Things may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend items we use and love.
- Measuring Spoons – I LOVE my set of these!
- Cupcake liners
- Muffin tin
- Mixing bowls
- Stand mixer
- Wire rack
- Paring knife
- Wilton 1M
S'MORES CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
This fun and easy S'mores Cupcake recipe uses everyday kitchen staples to create a delicious dessert or snack your family will love. You can easily find the ingredients to make this recipe at your local grocery store.
All you need is:
- graham cracker crumbs
- some butter
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- vegetable oil
- a few eggs
- confectioners’ sugar
- mini marshmallows
- chocolate chips
- baking powder
- baking soda
- pinch of salt
S'MORES CUPCAKE RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Next, line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
To make the graham cracker layer, take a small bowl and mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar.
Scoop a tablespoon of your graham cracker mixture into each lined muffin pan cavity, packing it down.
Bake for 5 minutes.
Begin making your chocolate cupcakes: sift together your dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
In another bowl, add sugar and vegetable oil.
Using an electric mixer, start creaming together the sugar and vegetable oil until it looks like frosting.
Slowly add the eggs and milk to the creamed ingredients.
Gently pour your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients, one third at a time.
Mix until combined.
Pour the batter into each muffin pan cavity, about 2/3 of the way.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean from the center of a cupcake.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
Once cool, using a paring knife, remove the top center portion of each cupcake.
Fill each cupcake hole with marshmallow fluff/spread.
Use an electric mixer to make your buttercream: beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, and milk.
Beat on high until ingredients are smooth and well-combined.
Scoop into a piping bag with Wilton 1M attached as the tip.
Generously frost each cupcake.
Cover the buttercream topping with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
In about an hour and a half, you’ll have a yummy chocolate cupcake with a graham cracker crust and marshmallow topping that’s sure to become a new favorite!
S'MORES CUPCAKE TIPS AND QUESTIONS
If you’ve never made s'mores-inspired cupcakes, don’t worry!
Below are some common questions and helpful tips.
Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have. If not, feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll answer the best I can.
HOW LONG DOES IT REALLY TAKE TO MAKE S'MORES CUPCAKES?
This S'mores Cupcake recipe takes approximately 1 hour and 32 minutes. TOTAL.
- About 10 minutes to make and bake the graham cracker layer
- Close to 35 minutes to make the batter and bake the chocolate cupcakes
- Around 25 minutes to cool the cupcakes and remove the center
- 7 minutes to fill with marshmallow fluff
- 15 minutes to make the buttercream and decorate
HOW DO I STORE S'MORES CUPCAKES?
You can store S'mores Cupcakes in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 days, in your refrigerator for up to 7 days, or in your freezer for up to 3 months.
Simply unthaw the cupcakes at room temperature.
CAN I MAKE S'MORES CUPCAKES AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can easily make S'mores Cupcakes ahead of time.
Keep the cupcakes stored in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH CUPCAKES?
S'mores Cupcakes go well with a wide variety of snacks. These recipes would be great to serve together.
Some of my personal favorites include:
- Iron Skillet Caramel Apple Pull-Apart Bread
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Red, White, and Blue Oreo Pops
- Strawberry Milkshake
- Golden Oreo Bark
CAN I USE A CHOCOLATE CAKE BOX MIX INSTEAD OF A HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE?
Yes, you can use a store-bought chocolate cake box mix in this recipe instead of the homemade chocolate cupcake recipe provided.
The steps will be pretty much the same.
The cupcakes might taste slightly different and you might end up with too much cupcake batter.
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THIS S'MORES RECIPE?
This yummy S'mores Cupcake recipe not only tastes great, but it’s also incredibly versatile.
Try switching up the filling by using a fudge chocolate frosting. YUM!
S'MORES CUPCAKE RECIPE
- For the graham cracker portion
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- For the chocolate cupcakes
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Marshmallow spread/fluff
- For the buttercream & décor
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate chips
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next, line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- To make the graham cracker layer, take a small bowl and mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar.
- Scoop a tablespoon of your graham cracker mixture into each lined muffin pan cavity, packing it down.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Begin making your chocolate cupcakes:
- sift together your dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another bowl, add sugar and vegetable oil.
- Using an electric mixer, start creaming together the sugar and vegetable oil until it looks like frosting.
- Slowly add the eggs and milk to the creamed ingredients.
- Gently pour your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients, one third at a time.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into each muffin pan cavity, about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean from the center of a cupcake.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cool, using a paring knife, remove the top center portion of each cupcake.
- Fill each cupcake hole with marshmallow fluff/spread.
- Use an electric mixer to make your buttercream: beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, and milk.
- Beat on high until ingredients are smooth and well-combined.
- Scoop into a piping bag with Wilton 1M attached as the tip.
- Generously frost each cupcake.
- Cover the buttercream topping with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 683Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 2gSugar: 65gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
I hope you enjoy this fun campfire-inspired recipe as much as my family does!
If you get a chance to try it, let us know! Leave us a comment below, or share it with a picture on Instagram or Facebook! Don’t forget to tag us @kelly_reci_ and use the hashtag #Kellysthoughtsonthings so we can see what amazing meals you are cooking up!