This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
A classic sugar cookie is given a Halloween makeover by transforming it into spooky Mummy Sugar Cookies!
Delicious sugar cookies made of flour, butter, and sugar are cut into mummy shapes and drizzled with melted white chocolate and decorated with fondant eyes to create a snack the whole family will enjoy!
Sugar cookies are great any time of the year and they’re even better when made into cute Mummies for Halloween.
This is a must-have Halloween treat this fall.
You will love this simple sugar cookie recipe so much you’ll find yourself creating sugar cookies for every occasion using different cookie cutters.
In a little over two hours, you’ll have soft, buttery, sugar cookies with melted white chocolate ready to enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE MUMMY SUGAR COOKIES
Flour, butter, and sugar are transformed into delicious sugar cookies that are decorated to look like spooky mummies the whole family will enjoy!
You could consider using different cookie cutters from Flycalf.
Are you ready to get started?
You’ll find the specific ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Kelly’s Thoughts On Things may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend items we use and love.
- Measuring Spoons – I LOVE my set of these!
- Large bowl
- Microwave-safe Bowl
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer with Bowl
- Cookie Tray
- Cooling Rack
- Parchment Paper
- Saran Wrap
- Rolling Pin
- Piping Bag
- Wilton piping tip #12
- Gingerbread Man Cookie Cutter
MUMMY SUGAR COOKIE INGREDIENTS
This easy Mummy Sugar Cookie recipe uses everyday kitchen staples to create a delicious snack your family will love.
All you need is:
- unsalted butter
- white sugar
- one egg
- a little bit of vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- white candy melts
- a tiny bit of coconut oil
- white rolling fondant
- black edible marker pen
MUMMY SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
First, in a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
Next, add an egg and vanilla and beat until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
Gently mix together until cookie dough forms.
Carefully wrap the cookie dough in plastic and chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
Once the dough is chilled, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Add flour to a clean work surface.
Roll out dough on the floured surface with a rolling pin – about ¼ of an inch thick.
Delicately cut out 24 “gingerbread man shapes” with the cookie cutter.
Place each one carefully on the lined cookie sheet.
Bake for about 6-7 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack before decorating.
Roll out white fondant until it’s about 1/3 inch. Use the tip of Wilton piping tip #12 to cut out 48 circles.
Draw a dot on each circle (for the pupils) with the edible marker pen.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add candy melts and coconut oil.
Microwave in 30-second intervals or until completely melted, stirring between each interval.
Scoop the melted candy into a plastic piping bag. Cut a small slit at the end.
Add candy melt stripes on each of the sugar cookie cutouts… these will act as the “wrapping” on the mummy.
It doesn’t matter if it’s uneven – the less perfect the stripes are, the creepier they will look!
Add 2 fondant eyes on the head of each cookie.
Allow the cookies to set. In a little over two hours, you’ll have a snack that’s sure to become a new favorite!
MUMMY SUGAR COOKIE TIPS AND QUESTIONS
If you’ve never made Mummy Sugar Cookies, don’t worry!
Below are some common questions and helpful tips.
Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have.
If not, feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll answer the best I can.
HOW LONG DOES IT REALLY TAKE TO MAKE MUMMY SUGAR COOKIES?
Sugar cookies are so easy to make and decorating them is even simpler since you only need to drizzle some melted white chocolate and add eyes.
This Mummy Sugar Cookie recipe takes approximately 2 hours and 5 minutes (half of this time is chilling the dough). TOTAL.
- About 5 minutes of creaming the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Close to 2 minutes to add an egg and vanilla and combine
- Around 2 minutes to sift the flour and add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine
- 60 minutes to chill the dough
- 17 minutes to roll the dough and cut out the cookies
- 7 minutes to bake
- About 10 minutes to cool
- Close to 10 minutes to roll out the fondant and create the eyes
- 12 minutes to decorate the cookies with melted white chocolate and eyes
DO I NEED TO CHILL THE SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH BEFORE BAKING?
Yes, you should always pre-chill sugar cookie dough before baking because the butter in the cookie needs to be cold.
While baking the cold butter creates little pockets of air and this is what makes the cookie flaky and gives it that signature sugar cookie texture.
There have been times when I have been in a rush and only pre-chilled the sugar cookie dough for about 30 minutes in the freezer to speed up the process, and that has worked out just fine too.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH MUMMY SUGAR COOKIES?
Mummy Sugar Cookies go well with a wide variety of snacks.
Some of my personal favorites include:
- DIY Zombie Lollipops
- Rice Krispie Eyeballs
- Oreo Mummy Treats
- Purple Monster Cupcakes
- Glowing Eyeball Cupcakes
I DON’T HAVE A GINGERBREAD MAN COOKIE CUTTER WHAT ELSE CAN I USE?
You can use a circle cookie cutter or a large glass to cut circle shapes instead of a gingerbread man cookie cutter.
In my opinion, the gingerbread man cookie cutter makes the best mummies but circle cookie cutters work great too!
HOW DO I STORE MUMMY SUGAR COOKIES?
You can store mummy sugar cookies in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I often freeze my cookies and simply take a few out and place on a plate and within about 10 minutes they have defrosted and are ready to eat!
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THIS MUMMY SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE?
This simple Mummy Sugar Cookie recipe not only tastes great, but it’s also incredibly versatile.
Try covering the whole cookie in white icing and then drizzling with white candy melts. YUM!
MUMMY SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + extra for rolling
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups white candy melts
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 oz. white rolling fondant
- 1 black edible marker pen
- 1 gingerbread man cookie cutter, about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix together until cookie dough forms.
- Wrap the cookie dough in plastic and chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add flour to a clean work surface. Roll out dough on the floured surface with a rolling pin - about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Cut out 12 “gingerbread man shapes” with the cookie cutter. Place each one carefully on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 6-7 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before decorating.
- Roll out white fondant until it’s about 1/3 inch.
- Use the tip of Wilton piping tip #12 to cut out 48 circles.
- Draw a dot on each circle (for the pupils) with the edible marker pen.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add candy melts and coconut oil. Microwave in 30-second intervals or until completely melted, stirring between each interval.
- Scoop the melted candy into a plastic piping bag. Cut a small slit at the end.
- Add candy melt stripes on each of the sugar cookie cutouts… these will act as the “wrapping” on the mummy. It doesn’t matter if it’s uneven - the less perfect the stripes are, the creepier they will look!
- Add 2 fondant eyes on the head of each cookie. Allow the cookies to set. Enjoy!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!
If you get a chance to try it, let us know! Leave us a comment below, or share it with a picture on Instagram or Facebook! Don’t forget to tag us @kelly_reci_ and use the hashtag #Kellysthoughtsonthings so we can see what amazing meals you are cooking up!
Do you need more inspiration and delicious recipes? Then head on over to Sweet and Savory Morsels.