Take donuts to the next level by making these colorful Unicorn Baked Cake Donuts. Cake donut batter is dyed multiple colors and baked, then glazed with a bright unicorn colored glaze with sprinkles.
These Unicorn Baked Cake Donuts are perfect for serving at unicorn-themed birthday parties with other unicorn-inspired snacks.
They are a fun colorful snack for adults and children.
Baking donuts are easier than frying donuts. You do not need to worry about creating a yeast-based dough.
You simply mix together the batter and pour it into the donut molds and bake for 10 minutes until done.
Then glaze like a regular donut. Baked donuts have the texture of the cake and do not have a crispy exterior.
It’s more like eating a cupcake in the shape of a donut.
In less than an hour, you’ll have colorful donuts with colorful glaze ready to enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUTS
Cake donut batter is dyed in different colors and then piped into a donut mold and baked until golden brown, then dipped into a yummy donut glaze for a delicious snack the whole family will enjoy!
Are you ready to get started?
You’ll find the specific ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Kelly’s Thoughts On Things may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend items we use and love.
- Measuring Spoons – I LOVE my set of these!
- Stand mixer or hand mixer with mixing bowl
- Silicone Donut Mold
- Piping Bags
- Cooling Rack
- Mixing Bowls
UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUT INGREDIENTS
This fun and easy Unicorn Baked Cake Donut recipe uses everyday kitchen staples to create a delicious snack your family will love.
All you need is:
- unsalted butter
- vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- large eggs
- baking powder
- baking soda
- ground nutmeg
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- gel food dyes
- powdered sugar
- unicorn sprinkles
UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUT RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease two silicon donut molds or standard donut pans.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
Add the eggs and vanilla, beating to combine.
Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
Add the flour to the batter, alternately with the milk, making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
The batter will be thick. Divide the batter into 3 bowls.
Add a few drops of gel food dye to two of the bowls, I used pink and green.
Stir to combine the dye with the batter.
Take the batter and spoon it into 3 different piping bags.
Pipe or spoon the batter into the lightly greased doughnut pans, switching up the color of the dough so each donut has a bit of each color.
Fill the donut wells of the mold to about 1/4″ shy of the rim.
Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
Remove the donuts from the oven, and wait for 5 to 7 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack.
While the donuts are cooling, mix together the donut glaze.
Take the glaze and divide it into two bowls. Add gel food dye, 1-2 drops, to each bowl of glaze, and stir to combine.
Take the donuts and dip them into the glaze and sprinkle with sprinkles.
Place the glazed donut on a cooling rack to allow the glaze to harden.
In less than an hour, you’ll have light cake donuts in unicorn-inspired colors that are sure to become a new favorite!
UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUT TIPS AND QUESTIONS
If you’ve never made cake donuts, don’t worry! Below are some common questions and helpful tips.
Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have.
If not, feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll answer the best I can.
HOW LONG DOES IT REALLY TAKE TO MAKE UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUTS?
This Unicorn Baked Cake Donut recipe takes approximately 45 minutes. TOTAL.
- About 5 minutes of prep time
- Close to 10 minutes to make the batter
- Around 5 minutes to dye the batter and pipe it into the donut molds
- 10 minutes to bake the donuts and make the glaze
- 15 minutes to cool the donuts and glaze them and allow the glaze to harden
HOW DO I STORE UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUTS?
You can store Unicorn Baked Cake Donuts in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 days or in your freezer for up to 3 months.
Simply enjoy the donuts at room temperature.
CAN I MAKE UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUTS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can easily make Unicorn Baked Cake Donuts the day before serving.
Simply store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature.
WHERE CAN I BUY UNICORN SPRINKLES?
You can buy unicorn sprinkles through online stores like Etsy and Amazon.
Unicorn sprinkles cost between $9 to $15 for a small container.
Regular rainbow sprinkles are a great alternative that will look great too!
WHAT GOES WELL WITH UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUTS?
Unicorn Baked Cake Donuts go well with a wide variety of unicorn-themed snacks. These recipes would be great to serve together.
Some of my personal favorites include:
CAN I USE LIQUID FOOD DYE INSTEAD OF GEL FOOD DYE?
Yes, you can use liquid food dye in this recipe instead of gel food dye. The steps will be pretty much the same.
Using gel food dye gives you intense color with only a few drops whereas liquid food dye requires a lot of drops to get the same intense color.
I used the Electric Americolor gel colors in Electric Blue, Electric Green, and Electric Pink.
What’s the difference between baked and fried?
Baked donuts are much softer than fried donuts. They don’t have that crispy outer layer that forms
Baked donuts are also lighter and have more of the same texture as a slice of cake.
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THIS UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUT RECIPE?
This fun Unicorn Baked Cake Donut recipe not only tastes great, but it’s also incredibly versatile.
Try sprinkling some colored caster sugar over the icing for a colorful glitter look. YUM!
These donuts are the perfect treat for any kid or adult who loves unicorns and bright colors.
You can make these as a dessert after dinner, serve them at your next birthday party, or just eat them with coffee on Sunday morning! The possibilities are endless when it comes to this colorful unicorn beauty.
We hope you enjoy these cake donut recipes that will have everyone talking. What color would you like to try?
UNICORN BAKED CAKE DONUT RECIPE
- 4 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups All-Purpose Flour, scooped and leveled
- 1 cup milk
- Gel food dye
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp water or milk
- Gel food dye
- Unicorn Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Lightly grease two silicon donut molds or standard donut pans.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beating to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the flour to the batter, alternately with the milk, making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
- The batter will be thick. Divide the batter into 3 bowls.
- Add a few drops of gel food dye to two of the bowls, I used pink and green.
- Stir to combine the dye with the batter.
- Take the batter and spoon it into 3 different piping bags.
- Pipe or spoon the batter into the lightly greased doughnut pans, switching up the color of the dough so each donut has a bit of each color.
- Fill the donut wells of the mold to about 1/4" shy of the rim.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
- Remove the donuts from the oven, and wait for 5 to 7 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack.
- While the donuts are cooling, mix together the donut glaze.
- Take the glaze and divide it into two bowls.
- Add gel food dye, 1-2 drops, to each bowl of glaze, and stir to combine.
- Take the donuts and dip them into the glaze and sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Place the glazed donut on a cooling rack to allow the glaze to harden.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
I hope you enjoy this baked donut as much as my family does!
If you get a chance to try it, let us know! Leave us a comment below, or share it with a picture on Instagram or Facebook! Don’t forget to tag us @kelly_reci_ and use the hashtag #Kellysthoughtsonthings so we can see what amazing meals you are cooking up!