Make any day special with these unique Unicorn Cupcakes. A vanilla cupcake, frosted with white frosting, that as soon as someone bites into them, they’ll be surprised by the swirl of magical unicorn colors.
These Unicorn Cupcakes are perfect for snacks, dessert, little girl’s birthday parties, and school parties.
You can also bring them to potlucks for a fun cupcake. Everyone will love these vanilla cupcakes with a surprise magical batter inside.
These Unicorn Cupcakes might look complicated but I assure you they are easy!
Simply take the cake box mix and add unicorn colors and then bake as cupcakes and bake until golden brown, then add a yummy frosting.
In a little over an hour, you’ll have yummy vanilla cupcakes with a magical swirl of colors covered in a white frosting ready to enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE UNICORN CUPCAKES
Vanilla cake mix is mixed with bright unicorn colors and then baked into cupcakes until golden brown and frosted with a yummy white frosting for a magical snack the whole family will enjoy!
Are you ready to get started?
You’ll find the specific ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Kelly’s Thoughts On Things may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend items we use and love.
- Measuring Spoons – I LOVE my set of these!
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer with a Bowl
- 3 medium-sized bowls
UNICORN CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
This fun and easy Unicorn Cupcake recipe uses everyday kitchen staples to create a delicious dessert or snack your family will love.
You can easily find these ingredients at any grocery store or online through places like Amazon.
All you need is:
- box white cake mix
- a variety of gel food colors
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- some heavy cream or coffee creamer
UNICORN CUPCAKE RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare cake mix according to the directions.
Separate the cake mix into 3 bowls with even amounts of batter.
Using gel food coloring, dye each bowl of batter a separate color.
Scoop one color into each backing baking cupcake liner and layer the colors on top.
Bake as directed.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely 20-30 mins.
Next, make the yummy frosting. Add all the frosting ingredients into the mixer.
Whip the frosting until it is light and fluffy. In a little more than an hour, you’ll have a colorful snack that’s sure to become a new favorite!
UNICORN CUPCAKE TIPS AND QUESTIONS
If you’ve never made Unicorn Cupcakes, don’t worry! Below are some common questions and helpful tips.
Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have. If not, feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll answer the best I can.
HOW LONG DOES IT REALLY TAKE TO MAKE UNICORN CUPCAKES?
This Unicorn Cupcakes recipe takes approximately 70 minutes. TOTAL. This includes:
- About 10 minutes to make the batter
- Close to 20 minutes to bake until done
- Around 30 minutes to cool and make the frosting
- 10 minutes to frost the cupcakes
HOW DO I STORE UNICORN CUPCAKES?
You can store the Unicorn Cupcakes in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 5 days or in your freezer for up to 3 months.
To unthaw, simply leave the cupcakes at room temperature for a few hours.
CAN I USE DIFFERENT COLORS FOR THE CUPCAKE BATTER?
You can use any food dye colors you want to create the magical unicorn look. Use colors that spark joy.
WHAT ARE UNICORN COLORS?
Unicorn colors that are often used to decorate unicorn-themed baked goods and you can use to color the batter are:
- Light blue
- Light green
CAN I USE REGULAR FOOD DYE INSTEAD OF GEL FOOD DYE?
Yes, you can use regular food dye instead of gel food dye to color the batter magical colors.
They will both work the same. Be mindful of how many drops you add to the batter because more drops make the color more intense.
CAN I MAKE UNICORN CUPCAKES AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can easily make Unicorn Cupcakes the day before serving.
You can either frost them the day before or wait until the day you serve them to frost them.
Keep the cupcakes stored in an airtight storage container.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH UNICORN CUPCAKES?
Unicorn cupcakes go well with a wide variety of snacks. These recipes would be great to serve together for a unicorn theme.
These recipes are perfect for just a snack or parties like a birthday party.
Some of my personal favorites include:
- Rainbow Ice Cream
- Mermaid Tail Cupcakes
- No-Bake Chocolate Raspberry Fudge Pie
- Unicorn Cake
- Strawberry Fat Bombs
CAN I USE HOMEMADE CAKE MIX INSTEAD OF STORE-BOUGHT CAKE MIX?
Yes, you can use a homemade white cake mix in this recipe instead of a store-bought cake mix.
The steps will be pretty much the same. Using a store-bought cake mix saves a ton of time.
If you have an amazing homemade white cupcake mix recipe use it.
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THIS UNICORN CUPCAKE RECIPE?
This colorful unicorn cupcake recipe not only tastes great, but it’s also incredibly versatile.
Try adding a fondant unicorn horn and ears to the frosting.
Simply take store-bought white fondant and shape it into a horn and ears and insert it into the frosting. YUM!
UNICORN CUPCAKE RECIPE
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 Gel Food Colors
- 1 stick room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup heavy cream or coffee creamer, slowly add more if frosting is too stiff
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the box, add in the vanilla.
- Separate the cake mix into 3 bowls with even amounts of batter.
- Using gel food coloring, dye the batter the colors of your choosing.
- Scoop one color into each backing cup and layer the colors on top.
- Bake as directed
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely 20-30mins.
- Add all ingredients into the mixer
- Whip the frosting until it is light and fluffy
- Piping bag tutorial
- Grab a tall cup and One piping bag.
- The top of the piping bag should form a triangle
- Drop-in a piping tip (1M or 2D).
- Using a pair of scissors, open them wide like if you were preparing to cut the bag, make
- a seesaw potion back and forth to cut the piping bag.
- If your scissors are not sharp enough to cut the plastic using this motion, remove the top and cut off the bottom where you just tried to cut it. (a line should be in the plastic)
- *reinsert the tip before moving to the next step.
- Open the bag and fold it over the sides of the tall cup
- Fill the bag with frosting. (if working with children, do not overfill the bag)
- Your frosting should be fluffy enough to pipe a thick cloud of frosting!
- Using a Star Tip (1M or 2D) make a star in the center of the cupcake.
- Without releasing pressure, elevate the piping bag slightly above the star.
- Go around the star in a circle as tight as you can to enclose the center star.
- Release pressure.
- Then pull your bag off to the side.
- Immediately add sprinkles
Using a flavored coffee creamer in lieu of milk or heavy cream is a great way to add flavor to frosting.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
I hope you enjoy this whimsical cupcake recipe as much as my family does!
If you get a chance to try it, let us know! Leave us a comment below, or share it with a picture on Instagram or Facebook! Don’t forget to tag us @kelly_reci_ and use the hashtag #Kellysthoughtsonthings so we can see what amazing meals you are cooking up!