Rainbow Ice Cream is an exciting twist on vanilla ice cream. Swirls of bright colors in every bite, light and fluffy, and only 4 ingredients!
This recipe is a must-make!
Whipped heavy cream mixed with sweetened condensed milk filled with fun colors, it’s a snack the whole family will enjoy!
While ice cream is traditionally served as a summer treat, this particular recipe is so fun, you’ll enjoy it year-round!
In fact, this particular Rainbow Ice Cream recipe is so darn good and easy you won’t want to make ice cream any other way.
In about 15 minutes of prep and freezing overnight, you’ll have soft, fluffy, scoopable ice cream that is ready to serve, and enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE RAINBOW ICE CREAM
Heavy whipping cream is whipped to stiff peaks.
Sweetened condensed milk is gently folded into the whipped cream and then divided into 6 parts.
Have fun coloring each part and then add it all to your container and freeze!
It’s that easy to make ice cream the whole family will enjoy! Are you ready to get started?
You’ll find the specific ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
- Stand mixer or Hand Mixer with a large bowl
- Measuring Spoons – I LOVE my set of these!
- 6 small bowls
RAINBOW ICE CREAM INGREDIENTS
This quick and easy Rainbow Ice Cream recipe uses everyday kitchen staples to create a delicious snack your family will love.
All you need is:
- heavy whipping cream
- sweetened condensed milk
- vanilla extract
- food coloring
RAINBOW ICE CREAM RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
First start by freezing your loaf pan, bowl, and whisk so it helps to keep the ice cream as cold as possible.
Whip the heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks.
Then gently fold the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until smooth. Divide the mixture into 6 separate bowls (it will be about 1 cup each).
Color each bowl with a different color by carefully folding the food dye into the mixture.
Remove the loaf pan from the freezer and drop the ice cream mixture by spoonfuls into the container.
Freeze overnight or until it is an ice cream texture.
RAINBOW ICE CREAM TIPS AND QUESTIONS
If you’ve never made Rainbow Ice Cream, don’t worry!
Below are some common questions and helpful tips.
Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have.
If not, feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll answer the best I can.
HOW LONG DOES IT REALLY TAKE TO RAINBOW ICE CREAM?
I love shortcuts and this ice cream recipe is so easy because you don’t need to make a custard base and then use an ice cream maker.
The heavy whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk come together to create a light, scoopable homemade ice cream.
This Rainbow Ice Cream recipe takes approximately 15 minutes plus 8 hours of freezing time. TOTAL.
- About 15 minutes of prep time
- During prep time you are whipping the heavy cream to make it light and fluffy
- Close to 1 minutes to mix the condensed milk with the vanilla
- Around 2 minutes to fold the condensed milk into the whipped cream
- 5 minutes to divide into 6 small bowls and add food dye
- Then drop the colored mixture into a container and freeze!
HOW LONG WILL RAINBOW ICE CREAM LAST IN THE FREEZER?
Rainbow Ice Cream will last about 3 months in the freezer in an airtight container.
It’s so delicious that it never lasts longer than a few nights in my freezer!
WHAT GOES WELL WITH RAINBOW ICE CREAM?
Rainbow Ice Cream goes well with a wide variety of desserts.
Add these to take it to the next level. Some of my personal favorites include:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (perfect for ice cream sandwiches)
- Magic Chocolate Shell
- Scooped over warm Brownies
CAN I USE WHIPPED TOPPING FROM A CONTAINER INSTEAD OF HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM?
Yes, you can use the already whipped cream that comes fully prepared in a container and combine it with the condensed milk.
As for the taste, however, the heavy whipping cream tastes better.
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THIS RAINBOW ICE CREAM RECIPE?
This simple Rainbow Ice Cream recipe not only tastes great, but it’s also incredibly versatile.
Try adding chocolate chips, swirls of strawberry jam, swirls of caramel, sprinkles. YUM!
RAINBOW ICE CREAM RECIPE
Rainbow Ice Cream
- 2 cups very cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Food coloring - 6 colors
- Place loaf pan or container in freezer at least 30 minutes
- Place bowl and whisk in freezer at least 30 minutes
- Be sure whipping cream and condensed milk are really cold
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until smooth
- Gradually add milk mixture to whipping cream by GENTLY folding into whipped cream
- Divide mixture into 6 separate bowls (it will be about 1 cup each)
- Color each bowl with a different color by GENTLY folding the coloring into the mixture
- Remove container from freezer and drop ice cream mixture by spoonfuls into the container
- Freeze overnight
If you make it, or any of our other recipes/crafts, let me know! Share your pics on Instagram or Facebook, tagging me @kelly_reci_, and using the hashtag #Kellysthoughtsonthings!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does! Check out these other recipes below.
Do you need more inspiration and delicious recipes? Then head on over to Sweet and Savory Morsels.