All October long get in the mood for Halloween by making hot chocolate with these spooky Halloween Cocoa Bombs. These orange chocolate cocoa bombs are decorated with Halloween confetti sprinkles and filled with hot cocoa mix.
These Halloween Hot Cocoa Bombs are perfect throughout October for making hot chocolate once the weather becomes cool.
The colorful orange balls with Halloween-themed sprinkles will make you feel the Halloween spirit all month long. Kids will have fun watching the orange bombs turn into hot chocolate.
These spooky cocoa bombs might look complicated but they are easy to make.
You just need the correct chocolate mold, some orange candy melts, a few Halloween sprinkles, and then fill your orange chocolate balls with everything you love to put in your hot cocoa.
In about 1 hour, you’ll have spooky chocolate hot cocoa bombs that make delicious hot chocolate ready to enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMBS
Orange chocolate balls are made and filled with the hot cocoa mix for a delicious hot drink you will enjoy! Are you ready to get started?
You’ll find the specific ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Kelly’s Thoughts On Things may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend items we use and love.
- Measuring Spoons – I LOVE my set of these!
- Semi-sphere mold
- Cookie Sheet
- Microwave-Safe Bowls
- Nonstick Skillet or microwave-safe plate
- Pastry Bags
- Spoon or Pastry Brush
HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMB INGREDIENTS
This fun Halloween Hot Cocoa recipe uses easy-to-find ingredients to create a delicious drink you will love. You can find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store and through online stores like Amazon.
All you need is:
- some orange candy melts
- a few black candy melts
- hot cocoa mix
- Halloween confetti sprinkles
HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMB RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Begin by placing a plate in the freezer.
Next, place the orange candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl, and melt in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until smooth and creamy.
Stir the chocolate well, and spoon or ladle it into the molds, making sure to coat the inside of the molds.
Pour the excess chocolate back into the bowl, and place the molds in the freezer, and let harden for 5 minutes.
Remove molds from the freezer. Repeat brushing the candy molds with more melted chocolate and place back into the freezer until hard.
Carefully remove each candy-coated sphere from the mold and place them onto the chilled plate.
Take another plate and heat it in the microwave for 1 minute to warm the plate.
Place the edges of the cocoa bomb on it to melt it.
Fill half of the spheres with 1 tbsp of cocoa mix.
Then take an empty sphere and hold the hot cocoa bomb in place for a few seconds to make sure the top and bottom are melted together.
To decorate the Halloween Hot Cocoa Bombs, add some black candy melts to a small baggie, then heat for 30 seconds.
Massage the bag a bit, then snip off the end of the baggie and drizzle a little bit of black candy melts over each cocoa bomb.
Sprinkle with Halloween confetti sprinkles.
To serve, place a cocoa bomb into a mug, then pour 6 ounces of hot water or milk over the cocoa bomb.
In about an hour, you’ll have a spooky hot chocolate drink that’s sure to become a new favorite every October!
HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMBS TIPS AND QUESTIONS
If you’ve never made a Halloween-themed hot cocoa bomb, don’t worry! Below are some common questions and helpful tips.
Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have. If not, feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll answer the best I can.
HOW LONG DOES IT REALLY TAKE TO MAKE HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMBS?
This Halloween Hot Cocoa Bomb recipe takes approximately 45 minutes. TOTAL. This includes:
- About 5 minutes of prep time
- Close to 5 minutes to melt the orange candy melts and pour the chocolate into the molds
- Around 15 minutes for the chocolate balls to harden and be coated twice with chocolate
- 10 minutes to melt the edges of the chocolate balls, fill with goodies, and seal them together
- 7 minutes to drizzle with black candy melts and sprinkles
HOW DO I STORE HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMBS?
You can store Halloween Hot Cocoa Bombs in an airtight container in your refrigerator or freezer for up to 3 months.
To use, drop into a mug and then pour hot milk over it.
CAN I MAKE HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMBS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can easily make Halloween Hot Cocoa Bombs the day before serving.
Simply store them in an airtight container in your refrigerator or freezer.
When ready to use just drop the Hot Cocoa Bomb in your hot milk.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMBS?
Halloween Hot Cocoa Bombs go well with a wide variety of spooky snacks. These recipes would be great to serve together.
Some of my personal favorites include:
- Witches Brew Popcorn
- Bloody Halloween Cocktail
- Mummy Calzone
- Witches’ Hat Cookies
- Hocus Pocus Witches Brew Cauldrons
CAN I USE HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX INSTEAD OF STORE-BOUGHT HOT COCOA MIX?
Yes, you can use homemade hot cocoa mix in this recipe instead of store-bought hot cocoa mix. The steps will be pretty much the same.
Using pre-made hot cocoa saves a ton of time. If you have an amazing homemade hot cocoa mix recipe use it.
WHERE DO I PURCHASE HALLOWEEN CONFETTI SPRINKLES?
You can purchase Halloween confetti sprinkles either in the baking section of a major grocery store during the month of October or online through stores like Amazon.
A package of sprinkles costs about $8.
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THIS HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMB RECIPE?
This spooky Halloween Hot Cocoa Bomb recipe not only tastes great, but it’s also incredibly versatile.
Try adding some Halloween-themed mini marshmallows to each cocoa bomb. YUM!
HALLOWEEN HOT COCOA BOMB RECIPE
- 12 oz orange candy melts
- 2 oz black candy melts
- 6 tbsp hot cocoa mix
- Halloween confetti sprinkles
- Place a large plate into the freezer.
- Pour the orange candy melts into a bowl and heat in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring well after each heat session, until the candy is fully melted.
- Add a small spoonful of melted candy to all of the mold cavities, then coat the melted candy around the mold, making sure to get all the way up the sides.
- Place candy-coated molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to add a second coat of melted candy to the molds.
- Remove the chilled plate and candy-coated mold from the freezer. Carefully remove each candy-coated sphere from the mold and place it onto the chilled plate.
- Heat the small plate in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Put one half-sphere upside down on the heated plate to slightly melt the candy-coated edge.
- Fill it with 1 tablespoon cocoa mix.
- Repeat step 9 with another half sphere and adhere the two together. The melted candy should fuse them together nicely, but if not, just use your finger to add a little melted candy around the seam.
- Add the black candy to a small baggie, then heat for 30 seconds. Massage the bag a bit, then snip off the end of the baggie and drizzle a little bit of black candy over each cocoa bomb.
- Add confetti sprinkles.
- To serve, place a cocoa bomb into a mug, then pour 6 ounces of hot water or milk over the cocoa bomb. Stir well and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
These Halloween Cocoa Bombs are perfect for any occasion and they’re so easy to make! Get in the mood for the spookiest day of the year by whipping up a batch today.
They would be perfect with your family on October 31st or as an addition to your holiday cookie platters this season.
Let’s get cooking and start making these festive cocoa bombs, we can’t wait to see what you come up with!
I hope you enjoy this Halloween hot cocoa bomb recipe as much as my family does!
If you get a chance to try it, let us know! Leave us a comment below, or share it with a picture on Instagram or Facebook! Don’t forget to tag us @kelly_reci_ and use the hashtag #kellysthoughtsonthings so we can see what amazing meals you are cooking up!