This Halloween make sure to surprise your family with a Mummy Calzone. Pizza dough is filled with tomato sauce, cheese, and your favorite pizza toppings, then wrapped to look like a mummy for a delicious dinner the whole family will enjoy!
While Mummy Calzones are traditionally served around Halloween, this particular recipe is so good, you’ll enjoy it year-round!
In fact, this particular Mummy Calzone recipe is so darn good you won’t want to make it any other way.
In about 45 minutes, you’ll have perfect pizza dough, filled with gooey cheese, mouth-watering pepperoni, and bacon ready to enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE A MUMMY CALZONE
Pizza dough is filled with your favorite pizza toppings, then wrapped like a mummy and baked until golden brown for a delicious main dish the whole family will enjoy!
Are you ready to get started?
You’ll find the specific ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Kelly’s Thoughts On Things may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend items we use and love.
- Measuring Spoons – I LOVE my set of these!
- Cutting Board
- Cheese Grater
- Cookie Sheet
- Pastry Brush
- Small Bowls
MUMMY CALZONE INGREDIENTS
This easy Mummy Calzone recipe uses everyday kitchen staples to create a delicious main dish your family will love.
All you need is:
- pizza dough
- pizza sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- an egg
- an black olive
- cooked sausage
- a few of your favorite pizza toppings
MUMMY CALZONE RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Next, carefully roll the pizza dough out onto a large cookie sheet.
Our mummy calzone needs bandages, so cut strips on both long sides of the dough, leaving the center uncut.
Spoon pizza sauce down the center.
Add cheese, then add your favorite pizza toppings (cooked sausage, bacon, pepperoni, mushrooms etc), and more cheese!
Take the cut strips of dough and wrap the calzone beginning at the bottom, and make sure to slightly overlap the dough.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water.
Gently, brush the egg wash over the pizza dough. Bake until golden brown.
Remove the calzone from the oven and let rest.
To serve as a Mummy for Halloween, slice one black olive to make eyes and place it at the top of the calzone.
In about 45 minutes, you’ll have a main dish that’s sure to become a new favorite!
MUMMY CALZONE TIPS AND QUESTIONS
If you’ve never made a Mummy Calzone, don’t worry! Below are some common questions and helpful tips.
Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have.
If not, feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll answer the best I can.
HOW LONG DOES IT REALLY TAKE TO MAKE A MUMMY CALZONE?
This Mummy Calzone recipe takes approximately 45 minutes. TOTAL.
- About 9 minutes of prep time to chop any pizza toppings
- Close to 2 minutes to roll out the dough and cut the strips
- Around 4 minutes to fill the calzone and overlap the dough
- 30 minutes to bake the calzone
HOW DO I REHEAT MY CALZONE LEFTOVERS?
You can easily reheat the calzone leftovers by placing them in a microwave, toaster oven, oven, or air fryer until the center of the calzone is hot.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH A MUMMY CALZONE?
Mummy Calzones go well with a wide variety of meals and sides. Some of my personal favorites include:
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- Cheesy Bread Sticks
- Garlic Bread
- Chicken Wings with Hot Sauce
CAN I FREEZE MY CALZONE FOR A QUICK DINNER ANOTHER NIGHT?
Yes, you can freeze your calzone either fully cooked or uncooked and then cook from frozen until the center is hot and the dough is golden brown.
If you are baking an uncooked frozen calzone you might have to bake it for 45 minutes.
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THIS MUMMY CALZONE RECIPE?
This fun Mummy Calzone recipe not only tastes great, but it’s also incredibly versatile.
Try adding dipping sauces like marinara, ranch, and garlic sauce. YUM!
MUMMY CALZONE RECIPE
- Pizza dough refrigerated or homemade
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 black olive for eyes optional
- Your favorite pizza toppings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Roll pizza dough out onto large cookie sheet
- Using a small spatula for guidelines, cut strips on both long sides of dough, leaving 2-3 inches in the center uncut
- Spoon pizza sauce down the center
- Add cheese
- Then add pizza toppings and more cheese
- Wrap the calzone beginning at the bottom and slightly overlapping the dough
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water
- Brush egg wash over pizza dough
- Bake for 25-30 or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes
- To serve as Mummy for Halloween, slice black olive to make eyes
I hope you enjoy this calzone recipe as much as my family does!
If you get a chance to try it, let us know! Leave us a comment below, or share it with a picture on Instagram or Facebook! Don’t forget to tag us @kelly_reci_ and use the hashtag #Kellysthoughtsonthings so we can see what amazing meals you are cooking up!
Do you need more inspiration and delicious recipes? Then head on over to Sweet and Savory Morsels.