These Cauldron Cupcakes are wickedly delicious and will make your Halloween celebration so much scarier! Made with Chocolate cake mix and buttercream frosting, you will enjoy every bite of these Cauldron Cupcakes treats!
Double, bubble, toil and trouble – these Cauldron Cupcakes are inspiring me to boil up a spooky potion!
I absolutely love how my Cauldron Cupcakes turned out. I used so many mediums to give them their look. From gel icing to rolled fondant, pretzel sticks to homemade buttercream – I know my kids will love how they taste!
Are you totally into Halloween? Do you ever hold parties to celebrate the scary day? If so, these Cauldron Cupcakes are a must for your Halloween spread. These Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes are just as easy and delicious as well as these RIP Cupcakes, you will have fun decorating them.
If you end up making these, let me know and tag me on social media. I’d love to see how your creations turn out!
How To Make Cauldron Cupcakes
Making the Cauldron Cupcakes is easy, using simple ingredients, you will enjoy making these cupcakes. Just mix, bake and add the decreations!
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
Cauldron Cupcakes Recipe Ingredients
As I said, these are pretty easy to make. Don’t worry about the witches behind the scene, they won’t bother you. Simple ingredients like, cake mix, butter, confectionary sugar, frosting, food gel, fondant are the basics! The full list of ingredients is in the printable recipe card below.
Cauldron Recipe Instructions
Just a little mixing and turning and you will have a yummy Halloween treat.
- Prepare cupcakes
- Beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk
- add Kelly green gel food coloring
- Using Wilton tip #12, pipe out a black frosting border around each cupcake
- Frost the green portion of the cupcake with the green gel food icing, in random squiggles
- Roll out different sized spheres from the green fondant and place a few per cupcake.
- Insert two toothpicks on either side of each cupcake. These will act as the support of the cauldrons’ handles.
- Roll dark grey fondant into 12 spheres, about 1 inch in size.
- Roll out each sphere into a thick strip, about ½ an inch thick and 4 ½ inches long.
- Insert one end of a grey fondant strip onto one of the toothpicks and then arch it to meet the other toothpick.
- Snap the pretzel sticks in half and insert one into each toothpick.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Making and Storing Halloween Cauldron Cupcakes
Make sure you let your Cauldron Cupcakes cool completely. Warm cupcakes will release steam when you put them in an airtight container. One thing I highly recommend is using a wire cooling rack instead of a plate or cutting board to let cupcakes cool. Store cooled cupcakes in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Another idea is storing the cupcakes at room temperature on the counter.
Cauldron Cupcakes Printable Recipe
- Chocolate cake mix + all ingredients to make it** Most cake mixes yield 24 cupcakes so half the recipe to bake up one dozen instead!
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp Kelly green gel food coloring
- Black decorating frosting
- Green gel food icing
- 2-3 oz. green fondant
- 3-4 oz. dark grey fondant to achieve this shade, knead white and black fondant together or, color white fondant with black gel food coloring
- 12 pretzel sticks
- Prepare cupcakes according to mix’s directions. Bake in amuffin tin with cupcake liners.Allow the cupcakes to cool before decorating.
- Remove paper liners on cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat togetherbutter, confectioners’ sugar and milk. These ingredients will make up thebuttercream frosting.
- Once the buttercream starts to form, add Kelly green gelfood coloring.
- Beat until ingredients are smooth and form semi-stiff peaks.
- Frost the center of each cupcake with green buttercream.
- Using Wilton tip #12, pipe out a black frosting borderaround each cupcake.
- Frost the green portion of the cupcake with the green gelfood icing, in random squiggles.
- Roll out different sized spheres from the green fondant andplace a few per cupcake.
- Insert two toothpicks on either side of each cupcake. Thesewill act as the support of the cauldrons’ handles.
- Roll dark grey fondant into 12 spheres, about 1 inch insize.
- Roll out each sphere into a thick strip, about ½ an inchthick and 4 ½ inches long.
- Insert one end of a grey fondant strip onto one of thetoothpicks and then arch it to meet the other toothpick.
- Snap the pretzel sticks in half and insert one into eachtoothpick.