Air ducts have an essential function in your home: they circulate the air through your heating and cooling systems from room to room. This means that they are likely in use in your house during the winter and summer seasons.
As such, the air circulating around your home passes through your air ducts multiple times a day, which adds up to a fair amount considering it’s run so consistently. Given that this is the air that you and your family breathe every day, it stands to reason that you would like it to be as clean as possible.
While it’s good practice to get your air ducts cleaned regularly, it’s most essential when you have the following issues in your household:
- Renovation: If you have just renovated your home, then getting your air ducts clean is a good idea. Cement particles and other fine building materials can make their way into ducts and will be circulated around your house
- Infestation: Animals are also a problem when it comes to indoor air quality, and if you find that you have a rodent or cockroach infestation, then getting your air ducts cleaned is essential
- Dust/mites: Dust and dust mites are one of the main causes of allergies in households, and as such, if you notice any dust blowing through the ducts, you should get them cleaned
- Mold: Mold is a huge problem when it comes to respiratory issues. Make sure that you take immediate action for the safety of your family if you notice any mold on your duct systems or walls
- Unexplained illness: Is someone in your family struggling with an unexplained illness, or allergy? Chances are that it could be to do with the quality of the air in your home and getting your ducts cleaned is the best place to start.
What are the benefits of getting your air ducts cleaned?
There’s a lot more to air duct cleaning than simply having spotless ducts, and these are the benefits of getting them done professionally:
- Less household cleaning: When your ducts are dirty, there is dust, hair, and other materials getting passed around your home through the air. This often results in a fine layer on your furniture, counters, and floor, which consistently has to be cleaned up. Clean ducts mean less household cleaning
- Better indoor air quality: As mentioned above, the air flowing through your ducts throughout the day, is the air that you and your family are breathing. Air duct cleaning removes contaminants and makes it safer for your family to breathe the air in your home
- Fewer allergies: Poor air quality is the cause of many allergies in young children and elderly family members, who are most likely to struggle with respiratory illnesses. Cleaning your air ducts is a great way to reduce the number of allergens floating around your household, making everyone sick.
- Air flow efficiency: Air ducts that are filled with dust or grime have to work harder to push air around the household, getting them cleaned will help your system to run at optimal levels, and avoid higher household bills as a result.