Proofreading can be a tiring task due to the patience and attention to detail it requires.
Fortunately, there are different online tools that you can use to get the job done quickly and more efficiently.
To answer the question, yes, you can use Grammarly for free.
However, allow us to discuss this excellent proofreading tool further so you can make a smarter decision, especially if you want to invest in a paid account.
What Is Grammarly?
For those who might not be familiar with this tool yet, Grammarly is an online proofreading tool that you can use to catch grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors.
You can also unlock other features by availing of their paid plans. It is a very sophisticated program.
In fact, LifeHack highly recommends it alongside another excellent writing tool, Hemingway Editor.
The Different Plans
Grammarly has three different plans. Here’s a quick overview of what they are and what you can expect:
- Free: This is their most popular plan. It can help you with the common mistakes we’ve mentioned above. It also offers advanced features from time to time (still at no cost) to entice their free account holders to upgrade, such as word suggestions and tone adjustments. Lastly, Grammarly will also provide you an idea of how many advanced issues they’ve found in your article that can still help in refining the piece and improving your overall writing skill.
- Premium: This is the first paid plan. You’ll get every feature included in the free plan plus additional features such as plagiarism detection, tone adjustments, and sentence rewrites.
- Business: Teams can also avail of the business plan that will include everything included in the Grammarly Premium and free plans plus access to an admin dashboard, style guide, and more. This will also allow your members to get individual accounts if you choose to.
Are There Other Features Included?
Here are more extra features that you can expect aside from those we have already mentioned above:
- Article Rating: Grammarly will rate your article according to its level of correctness, clarity, engagement, and delivery.
- Analytics: We highly recommend signing up for their weekly writing updates. They are sent via email and contain interesting information such as your writing streak, productivity percentage compared to other Grammarly users, the total number of words checked, and most common mistakes.
- Multiple Platform: While you can always use the Grammarly app, you can also take it where you’re writing as a browser extension, program add-in, keyboard tool, and more. We suggest activating these features to make the most out of your Grammarly experience.
How to Sign Up for Free Grammarly
Signing up for a free Grammarly account is really easy. Just follow the steps below:
- Visit Their Website: Once you’re there, click on “Log in” or opt to install it as a browser extension.
- Sign up for the Account: Clicking on “Log in” will lead you to the sign-up page. You can click on “Don’t have an account?” for the next step or choose to continue with Facebook or Google. In any case, Grammarly only requires an active email account and a password from you. The password must be more than six characters.
- Personalize Your Account: Grammarly will send you a confirmation email so you can start using your account right away. You will also be directed to the next step, where Grammarly will ask you a couple of questions to personalize your experience further.
It will ask you what your writing is commonly for, work, school, or other projects, and what your writing skill level is: beginner, intermediate, or advanced writer.
- Choose the Best Plan for You: Finally, it will give you an option to continue as a free user or sign up for a premium plan. This page also shares a detailed comparison of the two.
Is It Possible to Get a Premium Grammarly Account for Free?
There really is a significant difference between the Free and Premium plans in terms of features.
This makes the paid plan all the more worth it to sign up for.
However, we understand that some of you might not have the budget to spare right now for the Premium, regardless of how helpful it is.
Fortunately, there are legal ways to get a premium Grammarly account for free.
If you only need the paid features for a one-time project, you can simply sign up for a free trial of their premium option.
Those who need it more permanently can opt to apply for Grammarly’s affiliate program.
Not only will it give you free access to a premium account, but it can also serve as an additional source of income.
Finally, educational institutions offer Grammarly premium to their enrolled students like the University of Phoenix and Arizona State University.
To Sum Up
Grammarly is definitely among our go-to writing tools.
It is an excellent online proofreading program that catches both common and advanced grammatical issues.
The best thing about it is that you can enjoy its basic features at no cost.
We believe that signing up for a premium account is ideal, especially if you write a lot.
After all, Grammarly will not only point out your writing issues; it will also help you resolve them and refine your skill further.