Skip to Content

What Do I Need to Know About Car Repairs?

Most people start driving when they are teens. That means relying on your vehicle for almost all errands. In a way, a car is a significant part of life. But once in a while, it can fail when you need it most. This can be frustrating, especially if you are in a hurry. Learning a few things about car repair will come in handy. You will be able to tell when the car needs repairs or even what repairs you can undertake yourself. And if you have kids, part of parenting should be teaching your teens about car repairs so that they are prepared for the inevitable. Here are some of the things you need to know about car repair.

Know the Basics and Don't Be Afraid of Handling Small Repairs

Most people dread taking their car to the mechanic for repairs. And worst of all is that sometimes it may take a while before you find an experienced and honest mechanic. However, learning to do some small repairs here and there will save you in the long run. Most people plan to use their car for a long time. In fact, statistics have shown that in the last ten years, the standard age of the US vehicle fleet has gone up by about 17%. In other words, more people are holding on to their vehicles to avoid the high costs of replacing them. And if you are among them, learning about minor repairs like changing the oil or brakes will save you some money in the long run.

It Is Possible to Get Free or Affordable Car Repairs

There are several ways you can get free car repairs if you are in need. Be on the lookout for the various churches, charities, and non-profit organizations (NPO) that are willing to cover your repair costs. For instance, The Carpenter's Garage is an NPO that has partnered with the federal government to offer repairs. Many low-income individuals have benefited from this organization based in Vancouver. Although the services are not free, they are relatively low to help people with less financial means.

Make Google Your Friend

Use Google to understand your car better. If you notice an issue with your car, google the model, make and year, and the symptoms to get a good idea of the situation. Get some background information about the vehicle to familiarize you with the vocabulary used in car repair. You are less likely to be swindled when you have the correct information. Besides that, you should also use Google to find an affordable auto repair shop. 75% of aftermarket car repairs are done by independent auto repair shops, and the remaining 25% are performed in dealerships. That means the market is saturated with auto repair shops. Try and find a shop near you that has good deals.

Seasonal Maintenance Is Important

While most accidents are caused by a driver's negligence, others are caused by the lack of proper car maintenance. When you do not service your car as you should, something is bound to break down while you are driving, putting you at risk of an accident. Unfortunately, car accidents can be costly. According to the latest figures by the New York State Department of Transportation, the average cost of a car accident will vary depending on the location of the accident. On the lower side, a car accident will cost about $15,000, while on the higher side, it will cost about $63,000. Most car accidents fall between $30,000 to $40,000. These are costs that you may manage to escape with routine car maintenance.

Always Consult With a Friend

If you are not that well versed with issues of car repairs, reach out to a friend or family member. Explain to them your car's symptoms and get their two cents. Not only will they recommend a great mechanic, but they can inform you of the average cost of those repairs.

If you own a car, then at one point, something will break down, needing repairs. Knowing what you can handle, where to find a good mechanic, and what a repair can cost you will help you in such situations.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.