Taking risks is how you learn new skills. You might have come across this statement several times and yes you might have to be in an argument with several people who brag about what you need to take certain risks in life if you want to learn new things. So today let’s discuss this topic in detail and draw a conclusion, that does you really need to take risks in order to learn new things, which even includes learning new skills.
What is Risk?
So before moving towards drawing a conclusion, let us look at what risk is. Wikipedia defines risk as:
“A risk is not an uncertainty (where neither the probability nor the mode of occurrence is known), a peril (cause of loss), or a hazard (something that makes the occurrence of a peril more likely or more severe). Securities trading: The probability of a loss or drop in value.”
One thing is evident from the above definition that ever in your life you want to achieve something, for that something you just have to take a leap of faith which means that having faith in yourself that you can achieve something. But risks don’t always have to be blindly trusting and all. There is something also known as calculated risk.
So what is a Calculated Risk?
“A calculated risk is something that for which thing you are taking it, you have a little knowledge or set of skills that can turn your risks into something you want”
Let’s take an example of gamblers, gamblers that you can find in casinos and some casino online sites. Gamblers are well known for taking risks that is when they gamble, but does that mean they have no knowledge about what they are taking a risk? Yes, exactly they have the knowledge about gambling and all.
Before taking risks they do their homework and know the possibility of their failure, they also know that what the possibility of winning is, let’s say a gambler knows he has 90% chances of winning. So he will take a leap of faith, i.e. he will take the risk because the chances of winning are more than losing. This is known as calculated risk.
Bonus point: If you are a gambler and looking for some trustworthy casino sites then you can we have made a list for you. Visit the link in the text above. And if you are also looking for some online slots then you can also find them in the text above.
Risk and Learning New Skills
We all know that with taking risks there is always something at stake. So how is it related to learning new skills? Well, you see, learning new skills isn’t an easy job. You are training your brain to learn something new but in order to do that, you have to invest it in a lot. And the most expensive thing you can ever invest in your time.
Let’s say you are very fond of gaming and want to learn game development. But learning development itself isn’t an easy job, leave game development aside. If you are related or affiliated with a Computer Science background then you probably know about a lot of things related to coding, development and all and you know that you can easily learn this skill i.e. game development and in this case, this risk is called calculated risk.
But what if you are not from a computer science or coding background? You see this is the time when this risk becomes a real threat. For instance in order to learn game development, first, you will have study about it which will include a lot of things i.e. is reading, watching videos to educate yourself about the field. Then there will come a time when you will start learning the practical knowledge. But what if you are not able to learn it?
All the time you spend learning about it will it be wasted? Well, people come to this point and argue about it. In my opinion, it is not wasted and I have provided different reasons for that:
- Skills aren’t all about having practical knowledge of something i.e. you don’t necessarily need to implement it.
- Having knowledge is itself is a skill for if you can’t learn anything doesn’t mean you can’t educate about it to others as well. You can and this is a skill itself i.e. teaching others.
All the thing with risk-taking and learning new skills is that a lot of people end up learning other skills as well aside from the actual skill they are after and since it isn’t really a waste of time one should go for taking risks. With that said we actually know now that YES, you can learn new skills by taking a risk and at the end of the day. It won’t actually be a loss. So don’t hesitate to take risks because life is all about learning and taking a leap of faith where needed.
Benefits of Taking Risks:
In Order to encourage you, we made a list of few benefits of taking risks that are worth going through
- Taking risk can make you more creative since you are putting yourself in a scenario where you can’t accept failure and in order to avoid failure you take a different approach to solve a problem which in return make you more creative.
- Taking risk is a great thing because when you do that your door gets opened to a lot of challenges and in order to overcome all those challenges you meet with different people for advice and stuff which in return grants you a lot of opportunities.
- Taking risks also train your mind to work great and effectively in scenarios where you are under the pressure that you might fail so you push your brain and your limits in order to be successful and you really becomes one of those successful people.
- Also, once you are used to taking risks, you are able to live with anything. You accept challenges more frequently and you have faith in yourself that you can achieve everything if you work hard enough for it.
- It can also convey you to persuade your dreams as you are really used to taking a risk and you have achieved something which you couldn’t. That enables you to believe in yourself which ultimately led you to the fulfillment of your dreams.