Replacing your roof is one of the tasks you will have to undertake to ensure your home stays in tip-top condition. When your roof is damaged or poorly maintained, the effect may be felt across other areas of the property through exposure to elements of weather or even intruders. Thus, repair or replacement will usually go a long way in lengthening the life of your roof and home.
Generally, roof replacement can be a daunting task, especially if you are doing it for the first time. This is because you do not know where to begin, how to find replacement experts or even the cost of materials and labor. However, this does not mean it cannot be done properly. In fact, when you have the right information, you can be sure to find a good contractor to replace your roof. So how then do you tell that it is time to replace your roof?
Here are some signs to look out for:
- Age of your roof – You need to know how old your roof is. Experts advise that a roof that is between 20 and 25 years should be replaced. However, this will depend on a number of factors such as proper ventilation and whether the old roof was removed so that you only have a single layer of shingles left.
- Buckling and curling shingles – If your roof’s shingles are buckling and curling, you definitely need a new roof. You can look at the slopes of your home that receive direct sunlight to see if you can notice any curling shingles that are losing their granules. This is usually a sign that they are beyond their life expectancy or the roof is defective and need replacement.
- Roof valleys – If you notice that some of the shingles are missing or falling apart, it is time you considered getting a new roof. Valleys are an important part of the roof as rain and snow will flow through them onto the gutters. Therefore, if compromised, then your home could be susceptible to leaks.
- Missing shingles – This is another sign of your roof falling apart. You need to check and ensure that all your shingle tabs are in place. Missing shingles are particularly common after a storm and can only be remedied with a new roof.
- Chimney flashing –If you notice that your flashing comprises of tar or roof cement, this is a sign that your roof needs to be replaced with a watertight fitting that may be a metal flashing system.
- Presence of shingle granules in the gutter – You need to take a look at your gutter to check if they have shingle granules. Roofs often lose more granules as they approach the end of their life cycle. Darker or inconsistent color on some areas of the roof could also be a sign that the granules are wearing off.
There are many signs that are a clear indicator that you need to replace your roof. You will do well to ensure that you take action and have a new roof over your house so that you are adequately protected from the elements.
Robert Kellie is a professional roofing expert. He runs an enterprise that specializes in providing roofing solutions to the resident of New York. He has been in the industry for over two decades. He likes giving expert advice on roofing through his blog. For more information on Roof Replacement, clink this link.