Fascinating architecture, delicious food and beautiful beaches make Spain one of Europe’s hottest tourist destinations. The country is composed of several islands and regions, each with its own distinct culture, making Spain one of the most culturally diverse areas on the continent. To help you plan your trip, here are 6 must-see places in Spain:
1. Barcelona. Nestled along the Balearic Sea, this colorful, vibrant city has a lot to offer. From architectural marvels like Antoni Gaudí’s Casa Mila to Museu Picasso, home of more than 4,000 Picasso works, the list of things to do and see is endless. After a long day of shopping and visiting the city’s famous tapas bars, head to the La Rambla district to find some of the hottest hotels in Barcelona.
2. Granada. Offering the perfect medley of old and new cultures, Granada is another great place to visit. Located in southern Spain at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains, Granada’s top offerings include the Museum of Alhambra, Basilica de San Juan de Dios and Mirador de San Nicolas.
3. Madrid. Spain’s capital city is best known for its wealth of European art. Top museums in the area include Museo Nacional del Prado, the Sorolla Museum and Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum (Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza). Places like Retiro Park (Parque del Retiro) and the Royal Palace of Madrid are also noteworthy sites to visit.
4. La Olivia. Located in the northern portion of the Canary Islands, La Olivia is a charming Spanish city offering breath-taking views and serene beaches. Among the top places to visit are Parque Natural de Corralejo, El Cotillo Beach & Lagoons and Isla de Lobos.
5. Seville. This energetic city is the cultural and financial capital of Andalusia. Its top offerings include the Seville Cathedral, Giralda Tower and Plaza de España. Also worth checking out is Real Alcazar of Seville, believed to be the oldest royal residence in Europe.
6. Llanes. Home to prehistoric caves, medieval ruins and year-round festivals, Llanes is a must-see destination. Top sights include Playa de Torimbia, Bufones de Pria and Playa de Gulpiyuri.
Captivating beaches, friendly people and a wealth of culturally diverse regions make Spain one of the top tourist destinations in Europe. With so much to do and see, it is no wonder that Spain appeals to vacationers from around the globe. No matter which areas to decide to visit, you will surely find lots to do and see.