Many people are taking efforts to lead healthier lives. They work out and eat a balanced diet. They want to look and feel healthier.
One important aspect of overall health is mental health. Stress, anxiety, and depression are very common. Panic attacks, schizophrenia and suicide attempts are warning signs when people have been trying to hold in their fears and problems for too long.
There are several over the counter products that have been prescribed and recommended to combat mental health issues. Antidepressants, CBD brands and other medications are a growing industry. You can find out about popular CBD brands for anxiety and other popular products online. Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or physician before taking any kind of medication so that you are aware of any possible side effects.
Here are some important reasons why your mental health is just as important as your physical health:
- Your mental health affects your finances. People who are suffering with mental illness or other mental health-related conditions often find it difficult to concentrate. They are easily distracted, and their performance at work tends to suffer as a result. They may not be as careful with their spending as they used to be. It can also lead to a downward spiral over time of losing their job, losing their life savings and even losing their home and other belongings.
- Your state of mind can also affect your physical state. There is a very strong connection between body and mind. If you are dealing with stress, anxiety or depression, it can often leave you feeling tired and restless, which can deprive you of much-needed sleep. People dealing with mental health issues also tend to have weaker immune systems. If you feel weak mentally, you probably are feeling weak physically as well. Aches and pains tend to be accentuated when you are dealing with depression or anxiety.
- Your mental health affects you and those you care about. Mental health not only affects you, but it can also have lasting effects on your spouse, children, coworkers, friends and other family members. Children whose parents are dealing with mental health concerns usually experience feelings of rejection and neglect more often than children whose parents have no such issues. These children also often deal with a wide variety of emotional and behavioral issues in their adolescence, some of which spill over into their adulthood. They may have difficulty performing tasks or interacting with their peers.
A person with mental illness may often push away from their loved ones, friends and other companions. No matter how much the other person may care for them or make an attempt to help, they often feel shunned or ignored. This can lead to serious personal relationship breakdowns. Many people understand what they’re dealing with, but that doesn’t make the situation any easier. That’s why recovery is often recommended for not only the person dealing with mental health issues, but also everyone else in their circle as well.
- Untreated mental health issues can have some serious consequences. People with chronic mental health concerns have sometimes become the target of abuse, neglect and mistreatment. They’re an easy target for people who feel the need to take advantage of someone. They are also often victims of violent crime.
Prolonged mental health concerns can lead to devastating effects. The person may become severely depressed, catatonic, schizophrenic or even suicidal. They feel like the world no longer has any meaning for them. Many of them have no desire to hurt others, they just want their internal pain and suffering to end.
- Good mental health can lead to a better life. All of the above reasons and more point out the necessity of having access to mental health care services. Counselors and other trained professionals work with their clients to address the root of the problems and recommend positive steps to help turn things around. Better mental health often leads to a healthier, happier and longer life.
About 20% of adults in the US, or over 40 million people, suffer from some form of mental illness. In most cases, it’s not something they can control. There’s nothing wrong with having problems, and it’s perfectly okay to ask for help when you need it. Taking care of both your mental and physical health can help to improve self-confidence and self-esteem and improve your interpersonal relationships. It’s an important part of living a focused, determined life. If you are looking for ways to help yourself or a loved one, then check out BetterHelp.com.