Today is World Water Day (March 22). Everyone should do their part and help the world with water shortage 748 million people lack access to clean water – the equivalent of nearly two and a half times the United States population. To address this crisis and to acknowledge water’s essential presence on the earth, the United Nations General Assembly declared March 22 as World Water Day in 1993.
Ways YOU can help:
- Take a Short Shower: Keep track of time spent showering as a reminder of the water shortage around the world. An American that takes only a five minute shower has already used more than an entire day’s worth of water for the average person in a developing country’s slum.
- Make a Home Cooked Meal: Skip a restaurant meal and eat in. Use the time at home to talk about the need for water and donate money saved by cooking at home to give clean, life-giving water. A gift of $50 provides one new person with clean water.
- Walk or Run 6K: On World Water Day, thousands of people will walk or run 6 kilometers (3.72 miles) for children in Africa. Each registration brings clean water and fullness of life to communities in need one person at a time.
- Organize a Mall Walk: For alternative scenery, gather family and friends for a mall walk to remember the significant time women in developing countries spend bringing water to families. The time North American women spend shopping daily equals the time many women devote to collecting water each day – nearly 200 million hours!2
- Give Clean Water: Help us get one step closer to providing reliable clean water sources around the world by visiting World Vision’s website to contribute to the Clean Water Fund, or make a monthly pledge. A total of $25 per month provides 6 more people with clean water every year.
- Run a Lemonade Stand: Help provide clean water by doing what you love. Whether its hosting a benefit concert, coordinating a bake sale, involving the kids and setting up a lemonade stand or giving up your birthday you can be part of the water effect. Find out more here.
Also watch this video to learn more:
One winner will receive one World Vision Umbrella and Royal Silk Scarf is made with luxurious silk, using Fair-Trade practices. The blend of soft colors emulates the purifying qualities of water and the vibrant life that it sustains.. This Giveaway is open to US residents only, ages 18 and older. The Giveaway will run from March 22, 2015 11:59 pm EST on March 29. One entry/winner per household. This blog is not responsible for prize fulfillment. Enter using the Giveaway Tools Form Below. Good Luck!