Family lifestyle is defined as the way families live together in the same space on a daily basis. This entails individuals’ patterns and habits as a part of the family and the way they communicate and interact with one another. A family lifestyle can either be healthy or unhealthy. And this forms the basis of individual development (both physical and mental health).
Family is of great influence in a child’s life. In a child’s early stage of development, there is absolute trust and dependence on parents or caregivers. Family is a child’s first platform, where ways of communicating with the world are learned. This early education greatly determines the self-esteem of a child. Sometimes, parents or caregivers find it difficult to train a child enough. A child’s ability to respond to the environment is based on the Family lifestyle at large.
As said earlier, family lifestyle could be healthy or unhealthy based on the daily activities that are practiced. Firstly, the appropriate healthy lifestyle and its impact will be discussed and check this out https://themeliorbuzz.com/.
Ways to enhance a healthy family lifestyle;
- Eating together – Breakfast is known to be the most important meal of the day. As it provides the energy needed for the day activities. It should be ensured that each member eats before setting out for the day. It is also important to create awareness of the importance of healthy eating habits in your family and follow set guides. This might likely be difficult to maintain, especially among teenagers who prefer to feed on snacks and high-calorie food. But the proper menu plan that is convenient for all members of the family will be of greater advantage. Also, the only time a family mostly gets to eat together is at dinner time. This gives each member a chance to share how their day went and also to have fun with one another. A wide variety of food that suits everyone’s taste should be provided. So as to prevent loss of appetite and make most members disinterested in dining with the family.
- Engaging in daily exercise and physical fitness together – The first thing is identifying physical activities that create bonds and fun for everyone in the family. After identifying the activities, ascribe each activity to a particular day that is best suitable and won’t interrupt each person’s personal plan. Read it to every member, so they can make a certain adjustment if need be. Activities that a family can engage is different, based on their interest. Some engage in sports like hiking, some spend time playing games like Monopoly together and some simply watch a favorite TV show together or dance to a Favorite song. It should be noted that, for any physical activity set, it should be attainable and achievable by all members. Sometimes, a family member may need time alone from others. This is only natural, the purpose of participating in daily exercise together is to ensure everyone’s happiness. However, families should practice the act of jogging regularly. It helps ease the digestion of the meal and prevents a sedentary lifestyle which might likely lead to obesity.
Especially among children who prefer sitting in video games all day.
- Limit members screen time when together – Spending more time on screen, especially during daytime is a bridge that hinders communications among family members. There should be a limit on time spent on computers, phones, and TV. When too much time is spent on screen, it enhances a sedentary lifestyle. It is also an excuse that allows grudges between each other in the family. An individual gets bogged with his or her screen as a way not to communicate with the other person in the family.
- Engaging in household chores together – There should be shared responsibility for household duties to every member of the family. Children in particular love to participate in household chores. It could be as simple as them assisting with watering the garden, picking veggies or helping to pick certain utensils in the kitchen. A lot of people don’t really like to participate in household chores, but you can help them take pride in the home by making household chores more fun as it can be. You could play a piece of favorite music while everyone is at work, or give a reward for participating well. Chores should be divided based on the age group. Also, while shopping, kids should be included. As they will be opportune to pick that which they like. It’s also an opportunity to teach them proper nutrition and correct them on the wrong choice of food.
- Staying consistent – Having discovered ways to enhance a healthy family. Develop a consistent attitude in achieving your desired result. There is no crime in starting small, in fact, it is often better. But you should increase each pace when you realize there is an increase in capacity.
An unhealthy family is described as a family whose effect on members is a negative or toxic lifestyle. This happens when the relationship between family members is not appropriate for physical and emotional well-being. This is sometimes due to the family’s inability to remain strengthened after a bad occurrence, such as the loss of a loved one. An unhealthy family is mostly characterized by violence and abuse which is usually unproductive.
Attitudes of one or more family members living an unhealthy lifestyle:
- One or both parents’ inability to provide adequate emotional and financial support for their children.
- One or more family members may have addictions to drugs, gambling, alcohol or promiscuity that have a strong negative influence on other members. And sometimes, it hinders the development of other members by creating low self-esteem for them. Especially, if it’s an issue well known within a community.
- Lack of proper communication – This happens when there is a loss of interest in each other’s well being. It’s often as a result of frequent arguments or quarrels.
- When one or more family members enjoy treating and using younger members for their advantage. And also uses strong authoritarian control for them to obey given instructions.
- One or more family member is nonchalant about other members’ development and rather uses them for personal/selfish reasons.
- Inadequate provision and security for members of the family.
Individuals from dysfunctional families, tend to have issues with interaction and relationships with other people in society. They develop trust issues and fear, which may rub off on their academic performance and relationships.
For possible changes, you can make a list of behavior that you want to change, and also make a list of substitute habits. Begin to practice the new habit by starting with the easiest one. It is more helpful when you work alongside people with the same behavior as yours, but with those who are ready to make a change.
Family lifestyle is a major factor that determines the individual believes the society at large. It is important to see Family beyond the numbers present and focus on the long-lasting effect your decision will be, rather to promote a healthy lifestyle or not.