Writing your first research paper in college is not an easy thing to do. It is both very exciting and very difficult. First of all, you’re excited about doing your own research. But at the same time, you’re concerned how to do everything right.
If you have never written a research paper before, you might need a couple of weeks only to figure out how to do everything correctly in order to get high grades. You can either apply for a professional assistance to a writing service or you can do everything by yourself following the recommendations from other students, which are more experienced in writing assignments than you. If you want to know more about pay for papers services, search online. If you want to know more about writing papers by yourself, keep reading. We’ve prepared a couple of cool recommendations for every student.
Best Recommendations for Writing a Research Paper
Usually, the problems related to writing a research paper are about composing the first draft specifically. Why is it so difficult for many students to start doing their papers? Don’t they know the topic well? Don’t they know how to do a research? Writing the first draft doesn’t relate to these at all. Students simply don’t know where to start from to organize all work they’ve done into a single paper. So, here’s what you have to do if you don’t know what to start your first draft with too.
- The first and the most important recommendation is just to start writing. Just get all of the ideas on the topic out of your head and express them on paper. It doesn’t have to be perfectly written from the very first word. Just start writing at least something. Don’t worry about grammar or punctuation now. This is something that shouldn’t bother you till proofreading and editing at the end of the writing process. The same way, don’t worry that your ideas sound stupid now. It is only the first draft.
- Editing and proofreading slowing up the process a lot. Why shouldn’t you proofread and correct something in your paper while writing? You will only slow up the process and make your research paper composing process hundred times longer. Do you want that? Don’t check whether your paragraphs are perfect while writing them. You can go over and improve them later.
- Don’t count the words. Usually, the students have word requirements for their research papers, which they have to stick to. But this doesn’t mean you have to count those words while writing. Firstly, express your ideas and thoughts no matter how long or short they are. And only then, try to fit those expressed ideas into a certain word limit. This is something that is definitely not important at the beginning of the research process. Take care of how profound your research is, but not about how many words you can describe it with.
- Divide your assignment. A research paper is not a one day project. Usually, you have a couple of weeks or even months for it depending on how big the project is. So, don’t expect to do everything in one week or one day before the deadline. As soon as you get the topic, divide your assignments into several parts and define what exactly on which day you’re going to do. Devote at least 30 minutes each day to your project only. The more time you give yourself to write, the less stress you have because of the amount of work you have to do each day.
- If you want to include quotations, make sure that they don’t take the biggest part of your work. If you still want to base your paper on quotations, it is better to paraphrase them and express your own opinion about what other people think on your topic. As a research paper is about doing your own research and expressing your own thoughts, comparing them to the opinions made by other people. It is not about what other scientists think on this topic only. In your first draft, you’re not required to put quotations. You can add them later when you will be sure that you can clearly see your position on a certain topic. Only then, you can add quotations layer by layer where they are needed.
Your first draft is a raw piece of writing. So, don’t expect it to be ideally written. Maybe you’ll come to it a couple of days later and understand that you want something to change or delete completely. That’s okay.
That’s all you have to know about writing your first research paper. Don’t look at it as at the biggest project during the whole educational process. It is just your first paper. You’ll learn how to write it better with every assignment you’re going to get later.