Wedding invitations are more than just a ceremonial necessity. It is a manifestation of love and trust between the couple and their family and friends. It is an invitation to be a part of the couple’s happily ever after.
A wedding invitation is a customized card that contains relevant information of the individuals to be married and the details of the wedding ceremony. It also serves as an official entrance ticket to the main event and reception. Aside from its practical functions, a wedding invitation is a symbol of love, commitment, and faith between a couple.
Basic Rules When Creating a Wedding Invitation
Wedding elements like the gown, venue, and catering can deviate from the usual standards and style depending on the individual preferences of the couple. While wedding invitations can be customized, there are basic rules to follow when making a wedding invite.
- The wedding invitation should be sent out at least eight to six weeks before the actual wedding. This practice will give the guests ample time to reserve that schedule, prepare their outfits, and make travel arrangements if ever they do not live in town. Save-the-date cards are also useful in pre-empting the guests with the ceremony.
- The invitation should reiterate the urgency of the Respondez s’il Vous Plait (RSVP) or the guests’ response. The usual date of the RSVP is two to three weeks before the ceremony. This is essential for the caterer in finalizing the headcount for the food.
- Make sure that the invitation is addressed correctly to the specific person. It should explicitly imply that the message covers only the addressee.
- Include the dress code in your invitation, which is traditionally on the lower right-hand corner of the card.
Further, the design of the invite can also provide the guests with hints about the wedding theme. Traditional and letter-pressed invite connotes a formal event. Meanwhile, a colorful and playful font represents a casual gathering.
- If you want to invite the spouse or special someone of the guest, make sure to include the phrase “and guest” or “plus one” beside the name of the addressee.
Quick Tips When Creating a Wedding Invitation
Because of its importance to the wedding, an invitation should be well-crafted. Here are some quick tips when creating the perfect wedding invitation.
- Set the vibe of the wedding by aligning the design with the overall theme of the ceremony.
- Use heavy card stock for the paper because its durability can withstand the delivery process. Besides, this type of paper is an excellent material for a keepsake.
- Keep it simple. Its primary function is to provide details; thus, avoid unnecessary designs that will distract the guests.
- You can opt to write the guests’ names in hand to add a personal touch. Some couples hire a calligrapher for a better impression.
A wedding invitation is the first contact point of the couple to their chosen guests. As such, the invitation should be well-thought-out, which will reflect the sincerity and overall attitude of the couple.