Dry cough and sore throat are common problems that come along with the changing weather. Are you too suffering from it? There are several ayurvedic medicine for cough and sore throat that can help you in getting relief from its painful symptoms.
Read this article till the end and know the easy Ayurvedic ways to cure sore throat and dry cough.
What causes Sore throat and dry cough?
In most of the cases, the main cause is inflammation in the respiratory tract due to allergens and irritants, whereas there could be some other causes like infections in your respiratory tract, Pneumonia, Sinusitis, etc.
These allergens are usually present in the air in the form of environmental pollution, toxic smoke carried out from cigarettes, dust, etc. When your respiratory tract is provoked because of prolonged exposure to such allergens, the condition in Ayurveda is known as ‘Vataja Kasa.’
What are the signs and symptoms of dry cough and Sore throat?
Below are some common signs and symptoms of dry cough and sore throat.
- Frequent cough
- Production of sputum or phlegm
- Burning sensation in the chest
- Severe pain in regions such as temples, sides, abdomen, heart, and head
- Bitter taste
- Dryness in the mouth, accompanied by excessive thirst.
- Difficulty in eating and swallowing food.
- Irritability, weakness, and tiredness.
- Painful sore throat
- Nausea after consumption of food.
Can Ayurvedic medicines cure cough and sore throat?
Yes, there is a great number of Ayurvedic medicines for cough and sore throat that can eventually help you to get relief from its symptoms. The most amazing part about these medicines is that they are made from natural ingredients that have medicinal qualities and don’t possess any type of risk factor on the health of an individual.
An individual from any age group, whether it’s a child, adult or old age man/woman can prefer it. These are easily available from nearby pharmacies or you can also buy them online.
Why should one not prefer antibiotics?
Though antibiotics are helpful and are used to cure the bacterial infection, one should be concerned about their side effects. Antibiotics do not possess any life-threatening side effects but can sometimes lead to some severe conditions like anaphylaxis. Apart from it, antibiotics can cause digestive problems such as nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, bloating cramps in the stomach, etc.
Antibiotics are used to kill harmful bacteria. However, they may also kill the good bacteria that protect you from infections and maintain proper balance in your body. One should also avoid antibiotics if he/she is using any kind of regular medication such as blood thinners, diuretics, antifungal, etc. as these medicines can interact with antibiotics. So, one should make sure to consult with a doctor/ physician before taking any antibiotic.
Ayurvedic tips to cure cough and sore throat
One can use the following ways to treat cough and sore throat.
- Apply oils such as sesame oil or heat to the respiratory system (prana vaha srota) starting from chest following fomentation.
- You can also apply Ghrita that is a medicated ghee prepared using the extreme medicinal herbs such as vasaka, wild cherry bark, kantakari, and licorice on the chest area.
Apart from this, you can try these below-given home remedies.
- Turmeric milk: You might have heard about the benefits of turmeric milk from your grandmother.nIt is very helpful in treating a respiratory infection. You can take a glass of warm turmeric milk before bedtime along with honey as these both work as a great natural antibiotic that can treat sore throat and dry cough.
- Turmeric Powder: You can even try consuming turmeric powder mixed with a teaspoon of honey to treat the symptoms of cough and sore throat. Take it at least 3 times a day for better and faster results.
- Licorice: Also known as mulethi in Ayurveda, licorice helps in reducing inflammation caused due to allergens and irritants. You can prefer licorice tea with a teaspoon of honey for fast relief.
- Basil leaves: Basil leaves (tulsi) have great medicinal qualities. You can chew them raw, or also consider taking them as a tea made with basil leaves along with ginger and honey. Add a pinch of cinnamon or small cinnamon stick for better results.
Along with the home remedies, one should prefer Ayurveda medicine for cough and sore throat depending on their Dosha composition and severity of symptoms of the disease. Unlike the older times, now Ayurveda has treatment for almost all diseases and infections including cough, fever, respiratory infections, etc., and all without any side effect or undesired effects on the body.