Towards the end of the school year, kids are drained from all of their school work. Summer break becomes highly anticipated and it’s all they can think about until school is finally over. For parents, our feelings about summer are a little bit different. Even though we love being able to spend more time with our kids, some moments can be overwhelming. Here are 10 things all moms think during summer break.
- Is it back to school time yet? I know that school just ended a week ago, but darn it they’re driving me crazy.
- Now they’re home all day and I have to feed the little crumb snatchers. Until now, breakfast, lunch and snack has been the school’s responsibility. Now you have to cook, or microwave, or slap a sandwich together 4 times a day, 7 days a week for the next 2 ½ months. Have fun 😊
- Am I really a bad parent if I let them watch TV all day??? TV “fries” the brain, but will one day of doing nothing but watching Disney and Nickelodeon really hurt? That’s a serious question by the way. Mommy’s all burnt out and fresh out of ideas to keep you busy. Can the TV babysit for a while?
- Can I get a break? 1 hour is all I need. There’s only so much running, jumping, screaming, fighting, and hair pulling that one person can handle. How about we all take a timeout? That’ll work!
- Is it nap time yet??? I know that you’re way too old for a nap, but can you please pretend to be asleep for an hour. Or simply entertain yourself and don’t shout out my name for a while. Better yet, just pretend that I’m not here.
- What are some free activities we can do? I would like to avoid spending a small fortune on family outings this summer. There have to be some fun and free things to do around town.
- I really want to take you outside, but it’s way too hot for that. Oh, we are going to the park today??? Did I really tell you that??? Sorry sweetie, but it’s 100° outside and mommy can’t withstand that kind of heat. Maybe tomorrow.
- I know that I should be preparing you for the next grade, but is it really necessary? Your teacher is going to teach all of this next year anyway. You’re a fast learner. I’m sure you’ll do just fine without my prep work.
- Why does summer camp costs an arm and a leg? Camp can do a much better job keeping you entertained than I can. Maybe it really is worth my arm and leg.
- Aww is summer over already? I’m not ready for you to go back to school. Even though our kids may have kept us on our toes all summer long, we actually miss the craziness when they’re gone. Without them our life is a lot more boring and predictable. Oh well, that’s what weekends are for. Now we can have our Monday through Friday back to do normal mommy stuff.
When times get crazy, and the crazy gets going, remind yourself that summer will be over soon. It will come and go so let’s make every moment count and try not to sweat the small stuff.