Hypnosis – a mind-over-body state of deep concentration and self-control, has been used in medicine for over a hundred years, and though there are some skeptics in the medical community, studies confirm it often works where traditional interventions have failed.
Hypnotherapy Gold Coast-based and Australia-wide is a common practice. It has helped thousands of people overcoming fears, addictions, etc.
The latest research shows that patients can achieve the healing effects through self-hypnosis, a simple technique that many master in a single session. Hypnosis taps into the autonomic nervous system, which modulates processes like blood flow, breathing, digestion and importantly, the body’s immune response.
You are getting sleepy…
Do you get nagging symptoms that pills don’t control? You should consult a physician, but self-hypnosis might help as well.
- First, prove to yourself that your mind physically affects your body: Hold your palms four inches apart and imagine they are strong magnets. They will come together until they are stuck. Now release them.
- Next, pick a one-handed gesture, such as crossing your fingers, to serve as your relaxation sign. When you make it, you will imagine yourself someplace safe and tranquil, such as in a forest or at a beach.
- You don’t have to lie down, but make yourself comfortable. Quiet is helpful, but not required.
- Make your relaxation sign and enter your place in your mind. Relax and completely imagine your surroundings with all the five senses.
- Your mind is now open to suggestion. Give your body cues: “I want to feel this way all day” or “My condition will improve soon.”
- Stay “Under” for as long as you want – 10 minutes is reasonable. Then undo your relaxation sign. If you feel more confident or hopeful after a session, you have succeeded.
Many dermatologists have trained their patients to apply hypnotherapy to inflammatory skin disorders. When you just suggest that the treatment is happening, your immune system responds as if it were happening. When hypnotized patients imagine a freezing sensation at the site of warts, warts can vanish without undergoing a physical treatment.
Some patients, like those suffering from certain types of vocal cord dysfunction, regain perfect function after one session, while others use self-hypnosis to temper long-term symptoms of everything from irritable bowel syndrome to asthma to breast cancer treatment (such as pain and nausea).
The appropriate question is not, ‘Is hypnosis applicable to this medical condition?’ It is, ‘How is it applicable?’ Because it usually is.