By Shanna Israel/Vertical Wellness
Trick #1: Outfit your Kids & Paint your Pumpkins
The best way to keep your kids safe is to take precautions, making sure that others know your child, or your house, is a gluten or peanut-free environment.
· Take part in the Teal Pumpkin Project and paint a teal pumpkin for your stoop. This is becoming 2014’s universal sign that your house is “safe” for those with a dietary restriction.
· Outfit your child in a medical ID bracelet to highlight their medical conditions upfront. Companies like Hope Paige design some really cute ones for kids
Trick #2: Update your candy bowl
The candy bowl can be a nightmare for parents with kids suffering from an allergy. Some simple tricks to help those with allergies stay safe are:
· Celiac.org releases an “approved” Halloween candy list each year. Log on and make sure your candy stacks up for safety!
· Create two candy bowls, clearly marked which candy has specific ingredients, such as peanuts or tree nuts, and which is safe for kids. Make sure you ask about allergies before you let them dig in
· Just because it’s Halloween doesn’t mean you need to provide unhealthy treats! Sticking to dark chocolate is a simple swap, or try to incorporate healthier treats like KIND bars or small packages of trail mix. Still tasty treats kids will like and parents will thank you!
Trick #3: Health-ify your Halloween dishes
Halloween parties or get-togethers are quite common this weekend, so come prepared with a tasty treat that’s both healthy & delicious! Some tips for those with dietary restrictions to successfully navigate the Halloween parties:
· Bring your own dish: Not only will it ensure you have something to eat, but it’s a great way to provide the host with a gift and demonstrate to party goers that healthy can be delicious, too!
· Expand your recipe book: Especially around Halloween, you can experiment with fun, spooky dishes that incorporate veggies, superfoods like pumpkin and candies without the sugar, calories or other artificial sweeteners.
Happy Halloween everyone!
Shanna Israel, Celeb wellness/lifestyle expert and Founder of Vertical Wellness Shanna Israel is a professional nutrition and lifestyle expert in the intersecting worlds of health, wellness, fashion and entertainment. Shanna, a health advocate and wellness professional working with A-list celebrities, top doctors and clients everyday, created Vertical Wellness as platform for people to learn about viable treatment options and preventative care. Combining her expertise in wellness and health, as well as nutrition and dietary restrictions for various diet plans and conditions, Vertical Wellness collaborates with health professionals and A-list celebrities to deliver invaluable information to help readers achieve optimal health, regardless of dietary restriction or limitation.