We love taking our fashion cues from New York Fashion Week. As the season starts to cool, we’re taking a look at our closet, and pulling out the things we no longer care for, in favor of the new, more fun trends. Here are six trends that are definitely worth incorporating into your wardrobe:
1. Look fabulous in jewel tones such as cobalt blue and emerald green. Rich, vibrant hues dominated the runways, and made beautiful dresses and coats. Emerald green was Pantone’s color of the year for 2013, and it’s still going strong. They recently announced that 2014’s color will be “dazzling blue”. If you’re not feeling brave about going head-to-toe in such an eye-catching hue, think about using colorful accessories to accentuate your look instead. Accessories also have the added benefit of being cheaper than whole outfits to purchase. We’ve found cute and colorful jewelry for great prices at stores like Blair.
2. Sweater up! If you’re tired of skin-baring shirts and skirts, you’ll love the fall trends of chunky knits, turtlenecks, sweaters with graphic prints, and oversized coats. You can skip the scarves when you have cozy sweaters and coats to keep you warm. Layer the chunky sweaters over lighter florals for a newer, fresher spin.
3. Bold, colorful, graphic prints, especially on heavy sweaters, can be a fun addition to your outfits. Look for the always classic leopard prints, or comic-book inspired prints in bright and beautiful colors. Layer them over neutrals to create a focused, balanced look.
4. Indulge yourself with luxurious leather. Leather’s got a new look now. Leather jackets retain their rebellious edge while simultaneously being softened with quilted patterns. We loved the Rebecca Minkoff ones, which you can get right now on Shopbop. If you like leather but don’t want to invest in a lot of leather pieces, many designers created hybrid pieces, where panels of leather were mixed with other material on shirts and pants such as satin or silk. The mixing of different fabrics creates a nice contrast in textures, and it’s a lot cheaper to buy a partial leather shirt than it is to buy a nice leather jacket.
5. Look pretty, professional, and sophisticated in a skirt suit. Skirt suits are making a comeback, and the new twist is in combining matching sweaters and skirts instead of a jacket and skirt. Gray is the most popular color of choice for the sweater suit. If you want to look really good in a sweater suit, which is pretty form-fitting, make sure you have the right undergarments. Look to lingerie shops like Maidenform for the most comfortable bras and underwear, and use shapewear to make your figure look outstanding.
6. Layer different shades of gray. 50 Shades Of Gray wasn’t just one of the most popular novels of the year; the title also seems to have inspired designers to play around with different neutral tones. Keep your monochromatic look interesting with different shades of the same color. Create bright pops of color with chunky jewelry and accessories.