I am always looking for tips when it comes to cooking. I have been trying new recipes out and anything I can learn would help. With the holidays coming up I thought My readers would love a few tips. I hope they help you as much as I know they have helped me.
1. If you rub vinegar on the scales of fish first, scaling will be easier.
2. Certain Meats like ribs and pot roast can be parboiled before grilling to reduce the fat content. Use little oil when preparing sauces and marinades for red meats, because the fat from the meat will render out during cooking and will provide plenty of flavors. I always parboil my Ribs, so that is a real good tip!
3. Rubbing lemon juice on fish before cooking will enhance the flavor and help maintain a good color.
4. Buy the leanest cuts you can find when trying to reduce your fat intake. Fat will show up as an opaque white coating, or can also run through the meat fibers, as marbling. Most of the fat can be trimmed away, but there isn’t much that can be done about marbling. Avoid those. I always go for the leanest meats. My husband was a butcher and I actually make him choose our meats.
5. To keep skinned chicken moist while microwaving, cover the baking dish with vented clear plastic wrap. This helps keep some of the moisture in.
6. If you have no time for marinating meat, pound meat lightly with a mallet or rolling pin, pierce with a fork, sprinkle lightly with meat tenderizer, and add marinade. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes to have succulent, tender meat.
7. Never leave poultry at room temp. for more than 2 hours. Refrigerate poultry promptly after purchasing. Keep it in the coldest section of your fridge for up to two days. Freeze poultry for longer storage.
8. Use a plastic bag for marinating. The meat stays in the marinade and it’s easy to turn and rearrange. Cleanup is also easy. Just throw away the bag.
9. Thaw all meats in the fridge for maximum safety.
10. Partially frozen meat is easier to slice thinly.
11. Sprinkle paprika over frying meat to turn it golden brown.
12. To naturally tenderize roasts, add tomatoes. They contain an acid that works well to break down meats.
13. Cut meats across the grain. They will be easier to eat and have a better appearance.
If you love Pot Roast, then try this golden corral pot roast.