I hope I don’t have a STINKY HOUSE, and if I did, I would think my friends would tell me. I don’t want to be that house known for pet smells. Now, we do have a lot of pets, but my house is probably cleaner than someone who doesn’t have pets. But let’s get real, pet’s smell, it’s just how you go about minimizing the odors.
Here are a few ways I make sure I’m minimizing the odors of my pets.
5 Ways to Fight Pet Odors
- Have a clean house, now that might sound pretty obvious, but if you have pets you will need to vacuum, sweep floors, dust, and mop daily. Okay, maybe not daily but I do. I also like a clean house when I go to bed, so I do a quick clean up before I head upstairs for the night. It will usually take me about 15 minutes to clean up.
- The first thing I do in the morning is air out my house. I open the windows and front door just to get fresh air inside. Being able to get fresh air circulating in the room is essential to help with odors. Keep the windows open for at least an hour. If I notice an odor during the evening, I will open the windows and get fresh air flowing.
- Every week I will wash my pet’s bedding, toys, and dishes. Those blankets they lay on sure do get stinky so make sure to wash them weekly.
- I always sprinkle baking soda on carpets a few hours before vacuuming because it helps to absorb any trapped odors.
- It’s all about the LITTER BOX, we all know this is an ODOR issue. I don’t want a house that smells like straight cat pee! Litter boxes can be a nuisance, but it is needed. Each cat has their own box, and I keep the boxes in an area that the cats can get to but out of the way of the family. It is also important what type of litter you use, you can be better than clay. We are now using ökocat which is the first no compromise cat litter. ökocat is natural and delivers the performance of a top tier clay litter. Did you know that clay litters generate over 2.5BB pounds of landfill every year in North America? Let’s not add to this number anymore! There are three key points about ökocat it has a 7-day odor control; it is biodegradable and it’s lightweight. No other litter delivers all three, so yes, we are doing our best to stop the kitty litter smell, and ökocat helps us do that!