The ongoing COVID 19 pandemic has been hard on everyone.
People have taken up new hobbies to keep up the spirits and spend time learning new things.
Bread baking is one such activity that has become quite popular.
It is easy and engaging as you require few ingredients, Dutch ovens for baking, and can experiment with them according to your liking.
To get you started, here are some super easy recipes
1. No Knead Bread
On a tiring day or on a laid-back evening, just go for a no knead bread if you’re looking for something simple, light and crusty.
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup lukewarm water
- ¼ tsp instant yeast
- Combine flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Slowly add water and keep stirring till fully blended. Once the dough is sticky, cover it and let it rest overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, place the rested dough and sprinkle some flour, fold it a few times, cover lightly, and let it rest for 15mins.
- Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a heavily floured cotton towel and cover all sides. Leave it for 2 hours till it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven at 450 degree Fahrenheit. Place the dough carefully in the oven and bake for 30mins with the lid on. Then take off the lid and bake for another 10mins till beautifully browned.
2. Artisan bread
You can make one of the most versatile breads right at home, without any hassle, if you have a Dutch oven.
Slather it with homemade honey butter, or pair it up with a steaming pot of soup, this bread makes everything taste better!
- 3 ¼ cups bread flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 ½ cups cool water
- Cornmeal (optional)
- Whisk flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Pour water and keep mixing till moistened.
- Shape it into a ball, cover lightly with foil or plastic wrap, and let it rise for 2-3hrs at room temperature.
- For best results, refrigerate the risen dough for 12hrs-3days.
- Dust a non-stick baking sheet with flour or cornmeal. Cut the cool dough into halves and shape them into two loaves, 3 inches apart. Cover lightly and allow let rest for 45mins.
- Preheat oven at 475 degree Fahrenheit.
- Score the dough with a sharp knife and put to bake for 20-25mins. Once golden brown, and sounds hollow to tap, bread is done.
3. Cinnamon Raisin Bread
The perfect companion for a tea or coffee break, this is a must-have in your home-baked bread list. Add a sweet twist to the daily monotony with this recipe!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup raisin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Mix sugar, warm water, and yeast. Let it sit for 5mins then add cinnamon, flour, and raisins. Keep mixing till it becomes even dough.
- Lightly flour it all over and place in a greased bowl. Let it sit for 3-4hrs in a warm area.
- Preheat oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a floured surface, place the dough and shape it into a ball. Lay it on parchment paper and lightly dust it.
- Transfer the dough into the oven, cover with lid and bake for 30mins. Cook for 5-10 more minutes without the lid.
- Cool for 20mins and serve.
4. Spicy Cheese No Knead Bread
Baking is a great form of self-care.
The best thing about breads is that you can add whatever flavours you like- just like toppings on a pizza!
Savour the richness of this spicy cheese bread with a light salad and some wine.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, diced
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- 1 egg yolk (large)
- Combine flour, yeast, salt, and 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes. Add sharp cheddar and whisk till its coated well. Slowly add lukewarm and keep mixing till a sticky dough forms. Cover with a towel and let it rest for 12 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 30mins.
- On a parchment paper, transfer the dough. Give it an egg wash and sprinkle red pepper flakes.
- Place the dough inside the oven and bake for 30mins with the lid, and 20mins after removing the lid till crusty and golden brown.
5. Oatmeal Artisan Bread
Healthy, hearty, and packed with oatmeal, this bread is a fix for the pandemic blues.
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp active dry yeast or instant yeast
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- In a large bowl, put all the ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon till evenly combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or kitchen towel and let it sit in a warm area for 2 hours till double in size.
- Shape it into a ball and refrigerate for 8hrs-5days.
- On a parchment paper, sprinkle oats, and place the dough. Add some more oats, cover with a clean towel and let it rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the dough for 30mins with covered lid. Then bake it for 10mins without lid.
- Let it cool before serving.