London is the country’s capital, and an absolutely mesmerizing place to be. You could travel there multiple times, and feel like you’ve had a different experience each and every time! But how would one go about having the ultimate trip to London? A trip to conquer all? This guide will reveal all, with plenty of travel advice so you can get the most out of your trip and have the best time ever.
Explore Away from the Centre
London has plenty of open, green space to be enjoyed. A lot of these places are away from the heart of London, but they’re well worth travelling to. Hampstead Heath is a big piece of the countryside in a hilly part of the city, with amazing views, and Regent’s park. In Regent’s park you’ll find an open air theatre, Hyde Park, and Kensington gardens. There are plenty of places just perfect for cycling around too! Although you’ll want to explore the centre, don’t neglect to explore away from it. Citybase Apartments are located all around London so you can be close to your favourite attractions.
You’ll often hear Londoners having a good old complain about the tube. However, it’s extremely convenient. This makes it so easy to just hop on and off when you want to visit somewhere new! The only issue you might find with the tube is that you’ll miss many of the attractions and views this way. Why not just walk? You’ll get a great idea of the different neighbourhoods, and how quickly you’ll see areas of different kinds. Obviously London is a huge place, so you will need to get the tube sometimes. However, you could get off one or two stops early to enjoy more of the big city.
Make Sure You Actually See the Sights
So many people go to London with an Aim to see the sights, yet very few actually see them. Don’t rush too quickly from one to the other without actually looking at things and taking them in. Take the time to enjoy the neighborhoods of London; window shop in Bond street, go to craft markets, take a relaxing stroll along South Bank…simply relax and enjoy your stay.
Don’t Become Obsessed with the ‘Real London’
Many people want to see the ‘Real London’, but are dismayed to discover that there is no real London. It’s a mishmash of cultures, people, styles, and more. You’re much better off spending the time you have here simply wandering and absorbing the atmosphere. It doesn’t matter whether you’d like to do the tourist things or go off the beaten path – just enjoy yourself.
Don’t Forget Your Oyster Card
Taking public transport in London can be a real expense, but getting an Oyster Card can save you a load of money. Simply top up your card, and you’ll get the cheapest fare for all transport. It’s so easy to top up, and there’s no limit on when you should use your top ups either!
If you follow the above advice, you’ll have a fantastic time in London in your own way. Nobody ever has the same experience as somebody else, or the same experience twice! Now, read on to learn of some of the specific activities and attractions you can enjoy here:
- The British Museum – this museum is world famous, and exhibits the words of man from the prehistoric times all the way up to the present day. You should definitely see the mummies from ancient Egypt collection! Best of all, entry is free.
- National Gallery – Western European paintings from the 13th-19th century live here. You can find art from people such as Van Gogh, da Vinci, Renoir, and Titian. Again, entry is free!
- Natural History Museum – The dinosaur exhibition is so interesting, and you can explore other animals too.
- Tate Modern – Modern and contemporary art has never been so fascinating, in this building that was once a power station.
- The London Eye – This is a huge feature of London’s skyline, and shouldn’t be missed! You get to hop into a capsule with 24 other people, and enjoy London from up high. You can see all of London’s amazing landmarks, and it only takes 30 minutes. Spectacular views!
- The Science Museum – You can see scientific advances of the last 300 years, and learn so much about where we came from.
- The Tower of London – This building has a 900 year history, and you can explore it with one of the Yeoman Warders.
- Madame Tussauds – You must have heard of Madame Tussauds; the place you can rub elbows with all of your favourite celebs and public figures. Have pictures taken with royalty, kiss Orlando Bloom, have a history lesson, and even get scared to death in the new ‘Scream’ attraction. Worth a look at least once!
- See a Show – London has a variety of shows and theatres for you to enjoy, so take your pick from the likes of Wicked, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and the Lion King. Each theatre is dedicated to its show, right down to the decor!
- Covent Garden – Covent garden has a reputation for being expensive, but even if you’re short on cash you’ll love having a look around. The craft market is awesome, and if you’re a little peckish you can enjoy an award winning burger from the French restaurant ‘Le Brasserie Blanc’.
- Camden Market – This place is something else. You can find all kinds of delicious street food, bargain shopping, and even handmade trinkets to take home as a souvenir. The sheer mix of people and things to do will leave you amazed.
- Shopping – Fancy a little high street shopping? You can’t get better than Oxford Street! The Topshop and Miss Selfridge are absolutely huge, and you’ll find Harrods a short journey away. There’s no better way to treat yourself!
London is somewhere everyone should visit at least once, although I like to travel there a few times a year. Let me know what you think of it in the comments!