Easy ways to keep your tummy in top shape and avoid the upset!
- Hit the veggies: Reach for the fiber-rich appetizers and food. They will help you feel full and absorb excess liquid in your body. Fiber also normalizes the rate at which food moves through the digestive tract. Fresh veggies, fruit platters and salsa are healthy choices that will help you feel full and make you less likely to overindulge on complex carbs and fatty foods that are often difficult to digest.
- Drink water: Don’t forget to drink plenty of water each day. The dry air and being indoors can dehydrate your system, as can alcoholic beverages. While at a party, alternate alcohol with water to cut calories and keep your digestive system hydrated.
- Don’t skip a meal to “save calories”: Rather than skipping lunch, choose a healthy salad with low-fat dressing. The added fiber will help keep you regular and you will be less likely to overindulge later.
- Get some exercise: Exercise can help you manage the stress of the season and keep your digestion system active. So have a snowball fight, go sledding, and join in any dance off at the party!
- Digestive Enzymes: If your stomach is still out of sorts, not to worry! Try a digestive enzyme supplement to help ease you through the holiday season. Here’s one to try: Rainbow Light Nutritional System’s Advanced Enzyme Optima.
Michele McRae, MS, CN – Certified Nutritionist at Rainbow Light:
Michele McRae is a nutritional counselor, certified nutritionist and formulator at Rainbow Light. With 18 years in the Nutrition field, Michele’s firm belief in holistic, natural health has allowed her to understand and perfect her formula for health success with patients in the form of eating organic, healthy whole-foods and partnering a clean diet with natural supplements and vitamins. McRae graduated from the University of California, Davis with a Bachelor of Nutrition Science and Dietetics degree. Her personal areas of interest include addressing obesity and its related health complications, including heart disease, diabetes and joint problems, through the use of effective, side-effect free nutritional supplementation.