When it comes down to choosing a reliable and high-security self storage unit, this article discusses some important things to think about.
Image by kathleenleavitt via Flickr
If you have boxes of belongings that you are desperately looking to get out of the way, you’re not alone. Many people opt to keep their things safe by storing them in a self-storage unit. This enables them to declutter whilst having peace of mind their possessions are protected. If you are considering hiring a unit, you want to consider some points in order to ensure your things are in good hands.
This article seeks to discuss what those points are so you can become mindful of the potential risks and benefits of using self-storage. There’s more to it than just choosing a decent facility which offers adequate security. We offer several tips to make sure you cover all bases to protect your belongings and store with peace of mind.
If you are in the Cambridgeshire area, you can look at Self Access Self Storage. The website provides more information on safe self storage units in Peterborough so you can choose a reputable option in a good location.
What to consider when using Self-storage:
- Choose three options when selecting. Taking time to pick your unit is wise. After all, this will be home to some of your precious possessions for however long you choose. Therefore you want to check if the facility is a member of any ethics association. This means they will have to abide by certain laws and ensure they maintain a high level of standard in their business. Even though it may be pricier, having three trustworthy options and getting quotes is a great way to choose the best facility.
- Don’t let money be the deciding factor – think about location! Even though you may be on a tight budget, you don’t want to let this completely dictate your choice of unit. Despite wanting a good deal, it’s important to contemplate the location. One of the best things about hiring a self-storage unit is that it allows you to access your possessions any time. Being one of the most flexible storage options then, you want to make sure you keep it that way. Choosing one that’s further in Cambridgeshire but costs less may sound good at first. It will be when you want to run back and forth between your home and the facility that it becomes a nuisance. Sometimes it’s worth paying a little more for convenience.
- Weigh up the security of the unit. Ensure you ask exactly what security measures the self-storage unit has in place. Your valuable possessions need to be in safe hands so you won’t have to worry about potential thieves in the area. It is also worth asking if the unit is open later so that you can go there as late as you want. This then benefits you as you won’t have to rearrange your schedule around your self-storage facilities opening and closing times. If you need some Storage Advice from 1st Access Self Storage, their team of experts will help answer any queries you have.
- What sort of environment is the location in? This is important to ask when thinking about your belongings specifically. Some items react negatively to higher heats. However there are plenty of self-storage units that have controlled temperature environments. This may cost a bit more but will ensure your things remain intact and do not get damaged.
- Don’t forget the insurance! Once your belongings have been dropped off at self-storage, it may seem like a weight has been lifted off your shoulder. But maybe you are forgetting something?! If you haven’t gotten your possessions insured yet, you want to make this a priority. Your things may already be covered by your current homeowner insurance but this is something you will need to double check.
- Carefully consider how to pack your items. Thinking about what fragile and delicate possessions you have will dictate how these are packed. You also want to ensure that things which can easily damage other items will need extra protection and perhaps to go separately.