If you are like most people, you probably do not count house cleaning among your favorite tasks. After all, who wants to spend a whole day scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming. The following are a few of our favorite tips for making cleaning more efficient, so you have more time to spend doing the things you really want to do.
Clean Rooms in the Proper Order:
Believe it or not, there is a right way to approach cleaning a room. By doing tasks in the right order, you avoid making additional messes or having to backtrack to areas that you have already cleaned once.
- Always clean a room from top to bottom. That way you don’t shake or brush dirt, dust, or crumbs onto surfaces that are already clean.
- Clean your kitchen starting to the right of your stove and working around the room in a clockwise fashion. This means you end up cleaning the stove, which is the dirtiest part of the kitchen, last instead of tracking grease around the room.
- When vacuuming, be sure to start in the farthest corner and work your way toward the door. This will leave you with a carpet that is free of footprints.
Use the Right Equipment:
Having the right tools for the cleaning job can save you some serious elbow grease, time, and even money.
- Use microfiber cloths for cleaning counters, glass, tile, and even floors. This will reduce the amount of paper towel waste that you generate while cleaning and save you money since the cloths are washable and reusable.
- Cloth baby diapers are also great for buffing counters, mirrors, windows, and faucets.
- Squeegees are perfect for cleaning crumbs off the kitchen counter, getting excess water off shower doors, and even getting the dust off stairs.
- Use a plastic pan scraper to lift stuck on messes off floors and other surfaces.
- For indoors, use a broom with fine bristles and a dust pan with a rubber edge. Your outdoor broom should have stiff bristles designed to get into porous surfaces.
Clean as You Go:
A little daily maintenance can keep cleaning tasks from ballooning out of control.
- Grab a laundry basket and do a quick sweep of each room. Put anything that does not belong in the room in the basket so that you can put it away in the appropriate place.
- Fill your kitchen sink with soapy water as you start to prepare a meal. That way you can easily wash up dishes as you go.
- Clean up any spills as soon as they happen. They will only be harder to clean when they dry and can stain your surfaces if they are allowed to sit.
- About twice a year, spray your shower door with a car-care product designed to repel rain from windshields. This will help the water roll off so that your door remains streak free.
- Use hooks, bins, or baskets to keep clutter-prone areas organized.
- Each day, set a timer for 15 minutes and complete as many small cleaning tasks as you can in that time. Even if you only fold a load of laundry and wipe the kitchen counter, you have accomplished something.
Finally, you can make household chores go faster by looking for opportunities to multi-task. For example, you can fold a load of laundry while watching your favorite show or dust a room while talking on the phone. You can even take some of the drudgery out of cleaning by listening to your favorite music or podcast while going about your tasks. If you can’t do all the work yourself, look into hiring uk cleaning services! They will help you when you need it!