The other day I experienced a sneezing fit that left me running for a month’s supply of Kleenex. It’s a little too early to be sneezing this much, right? I had never experienced much in the way of allergies in the past besides some seasonal allergies – nothing that a little Claritin couldn’t fix. This was something different. I went to my doctor, and he asked me if I had flooding in my home in the past.
If you find that you or anyone in your family is experiencing allergy symptoms in your home, it could be from a mold infestation. While mold is often associated with the summertime, it can become an issue in the winter. If you live in an area where there was a lot of snowfall, you might have had some flooding due to moisture seeping through cracks in the foundation. Perhaps you had a burst pipe or something wrong with your plumbing. Whatever the case, excess moisture could lead to mold. Here are some things to keep in mind:
Recognize the Symptoms: According to the EPA, those who have a mold sensitivity might begin to exhibit Hay Fever-like symptoms. The most common include red, watery eyes, itchiness, a persistent cough, and congestion. In general, mold doesn’t cause other conditions, but it’s not impossible. If you begin to experience these things, it’s crucial that you get checked out by a doctor.
Get Rid of Moisture when It Occurs: If you see damp areas in your home, it’s important to get it out of there as quickly as possible. If you know certain areas are more prone to dampness than others, keep an eye on them.
Say No to Carpet: Carpeted basements and bathrooms are more likely to absorb moisture. You can opt for hardwood, tile or concrete instead. You’ll be better able to clear moisture when it does occur.
Get the Humidity out of the Home in Any Way Possible: I live in the Northeast, so while the winters can get a little chilly, the summers are nearly unbearable. It’s not the heat, but the humidity that kills you. Mold spores, on the other hand, love the humidity. It’s imperative to reduce the humidity in home in any way possible. Make it easy on yourself. Purchase a dehumidifier and turn on the air conditioner.
Contact Professionals When All Else Fails: If you experience flooding of any sort, it might make sense to contact a professional if the damage is extensive. Fire and water damage restoration professionals can provide expert cleaning services to get rid of the mold before it becomes a major problem.
Nobody wants mold in their homes. When they do make their presence known, it can make your life miserable. By following these special tips, you might be able to save on the antihistamines this year.