Holidays are here, and the gift giving is right around the corner. This time of the year is also popular with the HACKERS. We have to protect ourselves and also the gifts you give to others! Intel Security has provided some valuable information for our readers on how we can protect yourselves during the holiday.
Please read the tips and then enter the sweepstakes
How To Protect Laptops & PC’s
Laptops and PCs are highly attractive targets for cyber criminals. Thankfully viruses, malware, ransomware and phishing scams are no match for world-class digital security. However, you need to take precautions.
- Visit only trusted sites or don’t open emails from unknown sources.
- Secure from the Start – Install security when your system is brand new, clean, and efficient.
- Secure All Devices – McAfee makes it easy to protect all devices that will be sharing accounts.
- Backup Your Files – Backing up your files ensures you’ll still have them should a cyber criminal sneak in. Make sure to stay up to date on the latest malware risks.
Unwrap the gift of security for everything from your PC to your tablet with McAfee!
Mobile Devices & Smartphones
Phones make great gifts plus they are extensions of ourselves which we house sensitive data on these devices. Phones can be stolen right out of a purse or back pocket so make sure you keep track or else it might end up gone. Take these tips on how to stop cybercriminals from taking your information.
- Use a PIN or Passcode – passcode, or fingerprint or facial recognition (or better yet, all three!). If your phone is lost or stolen, it’s still protected.
- Stay Updated – Always download software updates from your device’s operating system and installed applications.
- Install Mobile Security – Free McAfee® Mobile Security provide anti-virus, antitheft, and privacy protection for Android and iOS device
Home IoT Devices: (Internet of Things)
These devices are connected to thermostats, refrigerators, streaming sticks, and home security systems. These devices contain connected computers that allow you to set, sync or manage them from apps or your computer. So you still need to PROTECT these too!
- Research the Product – Some IoT device makers are far more safety-concerned than others. Try and buy from those with a positive safety record and proactive attitude towards security.
- Use Security Settings – Always employ the security settings of your device and change the default password. If it features advanced configurations, be sure to use them to their full capacity.
- Update Security Software – Be sure to keep the manufacturers’ software updated, and stay informed of what is going on in the IoT security space.
This year the DRONE is a popular gift to give and receive! Drones are mini flying computers; they are vulnerable to hackers and malware. If you fly your drone using a computer, tablet or mobile device, malware can be used to infiltrate your drone and to potentially steal it or access its camera.
- Get Training – Read and follow all manufacturer’s instructions. Register your drone, and read the latest FAA guidelines on drone piloting.
- Be Privacy Conscious – Choose remote locations when possible. If flying in a neighborhood, be courteous to your neighbors by staying far from their homes.
- Stay Malware Free – If you’re controlling your drone from a laptop or mobile device, keep it free from malware. This will prevent someone from gaining access to your device and hijacking your drone.
Enter the Intel Security Holiday Sweepstakes: All you need to do is go HERE and enter name & email. Then you share your URL with family and friends so they can enter too! You get extra entries when they sign up! The more you share, the higher the chances of you winning! Here is what you can win:
Here is what you can win:
- Prize: Grand Prize (1) – Trip to Iceland for Two
Includes two-way coach class air transportation for two (2) from Icelandair’s U.S. gateway city nearest to winner’s home; round-trip ground transportation between gateway-area airport and hotel; hotel accommodations (one room, double occupancy) for two (6) nights in Reykjavik excluding tips and taxes; round-trip transfers between Keflavik airport and hotel. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) is between US $6,500 – $7,500.
- Secondary Prizes (5) – Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro tablet with McAfee LiveSafe (1-year subscription)
Good Luck and PLEASE KEEP DEVICES SECURE during the Holidays!
#islandofhackabletoys #intelsecurity #mcafee #SafeHoliday #sweepstakes #ad