We love to play board games at my house. However, now that my oldest is in middle school some games a little boring for him I’m a little too challenging for my second grader. That’s why it’s always nice to have games that they can play on their own that doesn’t involve a screen. That is why I was really excited to find a game my oldest son can play on his own and still learn something in the process. Games make great Holiday gifts and are a great alternative to screen time.
The game is called, INVICTA challenge, it combines interactive graphic novels, video games, and toys to tell leadership stories for kids ages 8-14 years old. INVICTA is available starting this month at Barnes and Noble and Amazon for $34.99 and is an excellent Holiday gift for kids, teachers, homeschooling families or anyone who loves History.
My 12 year old son and I had the opportunity to receive and play the first game in this fantastic educational series; INVICTA Challenge’s Leadership Decision Challenge 1: Flash & Thunder. The game is based on the true story of a Native American paratrooper on D-Day. The Player’s Character is Turner Turnbull, a young lieutenant in the 82nd Airborne. The The Flash & Thunder includes an operations packet, 2 detailed maps,108-page graphic novel, a collectible paratrooper figure, and a FREE mobile app available on iTunes or google play.
The story starts…”On June 6, 1944, Turnbull led his platoon of paratroopers in a gritty and determined defense of Neuville-au-Plain, a small village on the north flank of the Allied invasion zone.Turnbull and his men held off at least ten times their number of Germans during a critical period of the D-Day landings, preventing them from reinforcing the Nazi defenders of Utah Beach. Their actions saved countless American lives…”
How You Play:
1. Read the Operations Packet- Ready for battle, review the 15 cards in your top secret Operations Packet. These cards include key information you will need for your mission, such as details about your objective, equipment you will carry, what to look out for, and how the Germans fight.
2. Review your Maps- Examine your two Normandy maps. The first is a map of the overall D-Day invasion plan. The second is a detailed map of tactical areas in the graphic novel Mission and in the app.
3. Read The Graphic Novel Mission!- Start the Novel and use the Operations Packet to assist you in making your choices.
4. Achieve The Graphic Novel Mission!- Engage in the mission by making key decisions, your choices will determine the story’s result. Good decisions are based on information in the Operations Packet and on the INVICTA leadership principles.
5. Conquer The Mobile Game- After you’ve achieved the Mission objective, download and play the free turn-based strategy game, in which you replay the battle. Use the maps in your graphic novel Mission to place your units, position your weapons, and anticipate the enemy’s attacks. If you’ve read the Mission carefully, then winning the turn-based strategy game should be a snap.
The mission of INVICTA and its creators, is to encourage reading, teach history, and foster leadership while building character, citizenship and a love of learning. While,honoring those who put it all on the line in their quest to make America stronger, better, and continually moving forward. INVICTA games tell stories that motivate kids to reach their greatest potential—in a fun and compelling way. Characters include pioneering explorers, courageous civil rights leaders and innovating scientists, to tell the stories of the heroes and leaders who contributed to American History.
INVICTA is Latin for “the unconquered,” a perfect word for the heroes whose stories we tell. However, I.N.V.I.C.T.A. is also an acronym for 7 key leadership traits used to complete Leadership Decision Challenges to solve each mission:
Each game includes an INVICTA leadership card, which describes the above values in more detail. Choices made throughout the game will move you forward or ultimately end your game session.
This game was a blast for my 12 year old he could not stop playing the game, I actually had to make him stop for bed time. My 7 year old son was also interested and could not wait to play along. Even I enjoyed how well written the stories are and how easy it was to imagine yourself right there on the battlefield along side Turner Turnbull and his Airborne men. I am excited to see the next box that is released from this incredible company. This is a game that should be in all Middle and High School teachers hands. If your looking for an educational gift INVICTA is most certainly where I would start!
In honor of the first hero portrayed by Invicta Challenge in Flash & Thunder, the company helped create a Turner Turnbull Scholarship with the Chahta Foundation, a nonprofit that works alongside the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. The company will donate a portion of its in-app sales to this scholarship supporting a Choctaw Nation student in his or her 2nd year of college. The company will kick off the scholarship drive with a donation of $1,000 at a Dec. 3 event in Durant, OK with the Choctaw Nation. Says founder Jim Murphy, “The scholarship funding amount is based upon purchases of the Flash & Thunder app. The more people who download and experience the story of Turner Turnbull, Bob Niland, Ben Vandevoort, and the rest of the men who stormed Normandy and freed Europe, the more we will be able to donate to support the scholarship. Our goal is to raise at least $25,000, and we will update the community regularly on our progress. We have seeded the scholarship with a gift of $1,000 from Invicta Challenge and will build upon that with in-app purchases.”
Be sure to check out the full game and the Free mobile app online at http://invictachallenge.com/