It’s summer time which means you’ve probably read a few stories about how awful a beach trip can be with children. Clearly, I’ve come across a few myself and all I could do is feel sorry for the poor parents. After reading complaints about the prep work, the setup, the parking, etc etc, all I could think as I read about the beach trips gone wrong was poor parents…you’re not doing it right!
You’re supposed to have fun at the beach. You should be able to relax, kick back, catch some waves and go with the flow. And that’s exactly what you have to do. Yeah, just go with the flow of things.
Here are a few simple tips to make sure your beach day is stress free.
- Don’t over pack. Beach chairs, blankets, towels, toys, kiddie pool, inflatables, footballs, sunscreen, flip flops, ice cooler, umbrella. I know you feel like these are a must have, but some of them you simply don’t need. Stop making it hard on yourself. The kids will have just as much fun without all of the extra stuff.
- Don’t bring the whole darn refrigerator. Bring along just enough snacks and drinks to last while on the beach.
- Get there early. The best time to go to the beach is in the morning. 10am at the latest. Waking up extra early to go to the beach may not be the ideal thing to do, but you’ll thank me when you don’t have to ride up and down the coast to find a parking spot.
- Interact with the kids & have fun! Don’t spend your entire trip sitting back and being their personal life guard. Stop that! You’re going to far! No splashing! Be careful! We drive ourselves insane worrying about our children’s safety. At some point we realize how much we over react and that the kids will be ok. Get in the water and have some fun.
- Live in the moment. This goes back to number 4, but it deserves to be stated again. Have fun and actually enjoy the day! Don’t spend your time scrolling through your phone or snapping 100 pictures to remember the day. Memories are important, but you have to make the memories first.
Remember, the beach is about relaxing and having fun. In the words of Luann De Lesseps, “Just be cool. Don’t be all, uncool.” Don’t overthink it, don’t over plan, and don’t over pack. Put the phone away, get out of the beach chair, enjoy your day and make some memories!