Home appliances are things you cannot live without. There is food processor, microwave, dishwasher and most importantly, there is fridge, and all these are important parts of our kitchen. There is hardly a day that goes by without using them. Talking about a fridge, it is something that you cannot afford to stay away from. You store food and other perishable products in your fridge. God forbid, if it does not function properly, then you have to bear with rotten and stinky food in your home.
Maintaining your refrigerator is important and therefore, some of you sign servicing contract for that. However, you cannot leave everything to be looked after by a professional. You have to take care of some little things by yourselves, like regular cleaning or lay down clear plastic sheets on racks to catch spills inside the fridge. You have to keep on investigating the functioning of your fridge and check if the door seal is in good condition or not. If it is in damaged condition, your fridge will not be able to provide a strong cooling effect.
If you feel that the door seal is causing troubles, here are some tricks that will help you check its functioning:
- The door seal might be suffering splits and cracks. If yes, it is time for you take immediate actions. These splits and cracks bar fridge from retaining its cooling. It also causes warm and moist air outside enter the fridge. This can damage your food.
- Apart from splits and cracks, there can be some invisible small gaps between the fridge seal and the metal case as well. These gaps let cool air flow outside the fridge and allow warm air to enter inside. They should be taken care of.
- Run the paper test to examine the functioning of the door seal. The dimension of paper should approximately be 5 inches by 2 inches.
- This piece of paper has to be pushed in between the door seal and the metal case of the fridge.
- After this, you are required to hold the paper strongly in that position before you pull it out. While pulling out the paper, if you use some force, it means that the seal is working properly. On the other hand, if the paper slips out easily, there is some trouble with the seal. Repeat this process for the entire perimeter of the seal.
- Once you are done with checking the ability of the seal to hold the metal case of the fridge, you need to check for cracks in the seal.
- While looking for the cracks, you need to firmly move your finger over the seal. Also, pull up the seal a little from the base and check for cracks with your finger there as well. If your finger is moving over a rough and rugged surface, your fridge door seal is surely bearing cracks.
Living even a single day without your fridge or any other home appliance is almost impossible. It is like you have moved to the prehistoric era, where people used bonfire to cook their food. Following the above-mentioned tips, if you observe anything wrong with the seal, do not wait to call for help and get the seal repaired.