If your family actually looks forward to staying home on a weekend night to watch movies or play games together, then you probably truly cherish all of these moments. Turn the fun up a notch by finally finishing an area of the basement for a fun family room. In this space, you can add super comfy lounging furniture and leave a card table up at all times with a never-ending game of Monopoly going. Here are a few essentials that will be perfect for this space.
- Soft Blankets – There is nothing more comforting than curling up under a super soft blanket for a long movie marathon.
- Wall Fireplace – Basements are typically a little cold, even when temperatures are reasonably mild outside. Sure, you could put a space heater down there, but where is the fun in that? A wall fireplace that burns bio ethanol will provide warmth and ambiance. You can find them online on websites like EthanolFireplacePros.com. The fuel source is eco-friendly, odor-free, and smokeless.
- Wii – Family fun night does not have to involve sitting on your butt the entire time. Put a Wii down there, so everyone can play interactive video games that are made to get you moving. Wii Sports Resort is a good one. Plus, there is a Zumba game you will want to get to play while the kids are at school.
- Game Table – A game table is essential. If the room is small, you can use a card table that can be put away when it is not being used. If the space is large enough to leave the table up then maybe there is also enough room for side tables to place drinks and snacks on , too.
- Bean Bags – If you are going to have a movie marathon, you might as well be sitting on something you can melt into for hours. Besides, bean bags come in a wide variety of colors and styles, so you can finally decorate with those fun shades that don’t match the rest of your home.
- Dehumidifier – Most basements tend to be on the humid side especially in the summer. Don’t let this damp air spoil your fun. A dehumidifier will make the air more comfortable. They do tend to be noisy, so run it before the movie begins, so you can shut it off when you are ready to head down there.