Enjoying a home cooked meal while away from home has never been easier. It starts with having a fully equipped kitchen in your room at Extended Stay America. And with contributions from Food Network Host, Sunny Anderson, we bring you easy-to-prepare recipes in our new “Away from Home Cooking” cookbook. You’ll even find helpful hints and shortcuts, so cooking your own meals is a help, not a hassle.
Take a break from eating out, and enjoy a night in. Just choose a recipe, and get cooking.
With more than 650 Extended Stay America locations nationwide, the brand offers more kitchens than McDonald’s, and with the creation of an in-room cookbook, travelers save money and time while catering to individual tastes and dietary needs.
Check out this recipe, it was the winner of the brand’s national recipe contest.
Baja Fish Taco Tortas with Smoky Cilantro Slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage mix
- 2 Tablespoons ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pit removed
- 4 Tablespoons salsa verde
- 1 lime
- 1 pound cod
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 torta or bolillo rolls, split in half
- 1. In a medium mixing bowl combine the shredded cabbage, ranch dressing, hot sauce, chopped cilantro and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir until the slaw is well mixed.
- 2. In a small bowl place the peeled avocado, salsa verde and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a fork, roughly mash and mix together.
- 3. Cut the lime in half. Take one of the halves and cut it into wedges to serve with the finished tort as.
- 4. Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. While the pan is heating sprinkle the cod with the cumin, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. When the oil is hot, add the fish to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip the fish and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily and is opaque. Remove the pan from the heat and squeeze the half of lime over the fish.
- 5. To assemble, place the halved torta rolls on each plate. Spread each of the torta bottom evenly with the avocado spread, divide the fish evenly between each and then top each with the slaw. Serve with lime wedges.
Thank you to ESA, they are sponsoring this great Giveaway! Five (5) winners will receive the new Away From Home Cooking Cookbook! This Giveaway is open to US residents only, ages 18 and older. The Giveaway will run from October 8, 2014 untill 11:59pm EST on October 29,2014. One entry per household. Kelly’s Thoughts On Things is not responsible for prize fulfillment. Enter using the Giveaway Tools Form Below.