If you’re planning on remodeling your bathroom, there are a few things you need to consider.
image source: https://flic.kr/p/8QAShu
- First of all, if you do only have one bathroom, you need to make plans as to how you will be able to keep clean during the remodeling work. If the work is going to take more than a few days, it can be a bit of an imposition on neighbors and family to keep asking to use their facilities.
- Is there a separate toilet you can use? If not, you may want to consider moving out of your home for a short while. You could either stay at a nearby motel to keep an eye on the renovations, stay with a friend – or take a vacation.
- What is your budget? There are lots of different styles and levels of luxury you can choose from; it all depends on what you want. Shop around online and also visit your local bathroom showrooms to get a feel for the ambiance you want. And you should always factor in an additional 10% into your budget as a contingency plan, in case anything goes wrong.
- Measure your bathroom, taking into account pipes and how doors open. Make a note of where your existing waste pipe, boiler and electrical wiring are as rehousing these will add a significant amount to your budget. Ideally, try and find a company that can create a 3D virtual plan of what your bathroom looks like without any furniture it, so you know exactly how much room you have to play with.
- Shower or bath? Or both? Shower baths can help you free up valuable space in what is usually the smallest room in the house. There are a huge range of shower bath options around these days, some of which include hinged doors, which can provide easier access if you have older family members staying.
- When choosing your bathroom sink, take into account the height of everyone who will be using it. Smaller children may need to use a stool or step to reach it during their early years, but you don’t want to have a sink that’s so low, everyone has to stoop to use the taps. There is a growing trend for vessel sinks, where the bowl sits above the countertop, rather than more traditional sunk or freestanding sinks. Take a look around and see what catches your eye.
- Going toilet shopping may not be the most glamorous of activities, but it’s something that will be getting a lot of use, so it’s worth taking seriously. Take into account the flushing mechanism as there are a few different varieties which may also have an impact on your water usage. Also, check if your toilet comes with the seat when buying it as not all of them do.
- How will your bathroom be lit? You can choose from small LED lights in the ceiling to side lights of all types. Consider how much natural light the bathroom receives – and whether your windows are frosted or not. Is there room for some candles around the bath for a relaxing, candle-lit bath?
So if you’re about to start planning a major remodel of your bathroom, good luck. It is a big project, but with the right planning, everything should go smoothly. Don’t forget, you can also visit your local bathroom store for inspiration and to ask their staff for advice. They may be able to recommend ways of achieving your dream bathroom that you would never have dreamed of.