Are you moving from your home into your very first apartment? Or maybe you are moving to another part of the country to relocate for a new job. Whatever reason it is that you have decided to pack up your bags and go, one thing is for sure: moving can be a little bit stressful. If moving is on your agenda, then it is important to know a few crucial tips that are involved in the moving process. Here are just a few.
1. Write up a list of items you do not want to forget. It might seem like it is extremely obvious, but sometimes there are little items or knickknacks that we forget to bring along with us the first time around. Try to write a list of items that you know you won’t be able to live without, whether it is your favorite mug (the one that you can fit perfectly in the cup holder in your car) or your favorite eyeshadow palette (hey, sometimes we forget the seemingly ‘little’ things). This way, you won’t be forgetting anything important and you won’t have to make stops back to your old residence.
2. Try to take some time off from work to pack and move. For some people, asking an employer for extra time off might seem nearly impossible, but it will be truly beneficial in the long run. If your employer is willing to work with you, then you should take the time off to move (unless you need to use your time for more crucial things). If you are fortunate enough to have some extra time to take off, though, definitely use it to your advantage by using it toward your move.
4. Make sure that you have all of your packing materials. If you do end up having those extra days to pack, then you are going to definitely want to have your essential packing materials, such as the following:
- Duct tape
- Tissue paper
- Cardboard boxes
If you have all of these materials prior to packing, you will be much more comfortable with the moving process overall.
5. Determine if there is anything that you could sell, donate, or put up for sale online.
Sometimes it’s easy to forget about how easily we can get rid of our own stuff while still making a profit. You could sell old or unwanted clothes to a consignment shop or even online. You could also opt to donate your old furniture to Goodwill or a store of that nature. Don’t forget to find the value in everything in order to eliminate space and to make money all at once.
6. Ask yourself if you need the help of a moving company.
In case you are having a rough time moving on your own, it might be time to ask for help from a moving company. You can find some of the best moving companies out there in order to make your move less stressful.
Moving doesn’t have to be tough. These six steps can help you out on your journey to move into a new place quickly and efficiently.