Lighting: A Real Art
Getting the lighting effects right in your home is a true art. It’s one of those things you can just tell if it’s right or not. It affects the mood, the aesthetics and the feel of a room. When you get it right, it really helps bring a room together. When it’s wrong it can make whatever task your doing a chore or can make relaxing almost impossible. Because it’s so influential to the feel of your entire home, many people shy away from making lighting decisions and either leave it to the experts or, even worse, don’t make any decisions at all.
Tips For Getting The Lighting You’ll Love
Whilst it may seem daunting at first, there is no reason you can’t get the lighting effect in the home you’ve been looking for. With these few simple tips, you’ll be better able to better assess what’s working and what needs to change in your home:
- Begin with needs – what are the goals you want to achieve with your lighting? Think about each room and think about all the moods you want to create in the room. Are they already being met or are there some uses you would like to have in this room, but the lighting just doesn’t work for it. By knowing what you’re aiming for, it will be easier to find the lighting to get what you want.
- Different fixtures – there are all kinds of lighting fixtures and they can all have different purposes. For a modern feel in a high ceiling room, you may want recessed fixtures. For a more cozy feel you may want a table lamp. Each fixture can have different connotations, so make sure they match your goals you already defined.
- Mix it up – sometimes you will want to use the same room for many different activities. If this is the case, you don’t need to rely on one light source to meet that need and you can have various fixtures and fittings for different times of the day.
- Natural light – using the light from the sun is often the best way to light a room. It makes it feel bigger and it can save you costs on your energy bills. Make sure you are making the most of the light that is already there.
- Décor – the surrounding décor can have a huge influence on the lighting effect in a room. Make sure that the paint on the walls, for instance, compliments the lighting effect you are trying to achieve. Often it is easier to paint the walls than change all the wiring.
Putting It Into Practice
With these tips in mind you might now be eager to make the necessary changes to make your home just the way you want it. Making this happen might involve big changes, which involve hiring workers or heading to the DIY store. Just remember there are numerous online suppliers offering specialist products, such as Penguin Supplies downlighters, which can make finding the perfect solution easier. However you make it happen, keep these tips in mind and you’ll be sure to have a beautiful home.
The author has a background in interior design and has taken this knowledge and applied it practically in the many properties she has developed. As well as developing her own properties, she also works as a consultant helping individuals and companies achieve the lighting that will suit them and their needs best.