Is the current countdown of “How many more days of shopping till Christmas” getting you stressed? It always gets me checking my list of gifts making sure I have the right gift for each person. I am no expert, by any means, but I really take time to think of something special to give to each member of my family.
Here are my 5 tips for Finding the Perfect Christmas Gift.
- Ask them! No, I don’t mean right now. I mean, during the year. Ask them what their favorite movie was as a kid, or something they enjoy doing that they don’t always talk about. Get some real insight to what they like by asking everyday questions and writing it down. I know there are 10 days till Christmas and that doesn’t help you find the perfect gift now. This will help you for next year and if you work your questions into an everyday conversation right now you might get a good idea still. Just ask casually, most people love to talk about their childhood and sometimes you can get an idea of what they like just by listening.
- Check out their Social Media pages. If you have to get a gift for someone you don’t really know that well it seems logical to check out where they’ve been and what they like to do. If they post a lot about rock climbing that’s a good start, or if they are always pinning recipes, they might really like to cook. All of these hints will lead you closer to a great gift.
- Check out their Amazon Wish List. I just recently browsed a family members wish list and got a great idea that she loved. Sometimes it will have items on there that will help you get a sense for the things they like and just maybe be the light bulb you needed to figure out what to get them.
- Ask one of their friends or family members. In the office, usually there is a close co-worker who will know more about what they like. If it’s family, call a closer relative and see if they have an idea. Word might get around that you are asking but it just shows you are trying.
- People say gift cards are impersonal. I tend to disagree – anyone giving me a gift of any amount is nice. I like to save up my cards and buy an item I would never get unless it was as a gift. So, if all else fails, a gift card is a good gift. If you like to get a gift card as a gift, then more than likely they will too. You can make it a little more personal by finding out where they like to shop. Mall cards, Department stores or even where they get their morning coffee or lunch are great places to buy them a gift card. Also watch what they eat. Do they have a real sweet tooth or do they only consume meat? Make a mental note so you can find the perfect gift card.
All in all, finding the perfect gift is not as important as making sure they know you are thinking of them at Christmas time. So whether the gift you give is a gift card or the perfect gift they’ve always wanted, remember the purpose of the gift is to show you care.
Still need help finding the right gift? Check out our 2015 Holiday Gift Guide for more ideas!