The weather is finally warming up which is a sure sign that summer will be here soon. Besides warmer weather, summer also brings no school, bored kids, and worn out parents. Fight the summer blues by getting your kids out of the house and into some fun. Summer camps can be downright expensive, and almost everything you do nowadays costs money. But don’t worry! No money? No problem! Here are a few free summer activities that will keep your kids busy and your pockets happy.
- Feed the ducks at your local pond: No matter where you live, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a cluster of ducks waddling around. Find a park or apartment complex with a mini lake or pond. Ducks usually flock to these places. Bring along a loaf of bread and let your children feed them.
- Trip to the beach: If you live within an hour or two away from a beach, grab your kids and go. Use water, snacks, juices, and sandwiches straight from your kitchen to pack a nice lunch for your family. Leave that morning, spend the afternoon at the beach, come back home that evening and you have a free mini vacation. Gas will be your only expense for this trip.
- Go to the park: Going to the park is a no brainer. It’s free, always open, and the kids can have their fun while you chillax. Enhance the fun by bringing a basketball, jump rope, bubbles, water squirters, hula hoops or whatever toys your children would enjoy.
- Have a family picnic: Get your friends and extended family together to have a picnic. Everyone can bring a dish or drinks. And don’t forget the folding chairs, and blankets. But, we don’t want everyone just sitting around do we? Make sure you grab the playing cards, footballs, and a few other things to keep everyone busy and having fun until the picnic is over.
- Attend a Free Concert: Usually around Memorial Day, July 4th, or Labor Day many cities have free concerts in honor of the holiday. Typically, the music is provided by several unknown bands doing covers of well known songs. Which is a good trade off considering the concerts are free. Not sure if your town has a free concert this summer? Try browsing the upcoming events on your city’s website.
Try these free activities to get your kids out of the house and make a few summer memories that will last a lifetime.
Like what I wrote? You can find me blogging about my parenting successes and failures over at diaperstopotty.com.